Tuesday, February 4, 2020

A Reasonable Relationship

The clergy at Trinity Cathedral has had some wonderful sermons about getting closer to God. The lectionary has had scriptures that has Jesus calling us to leave our world behind and follow him.

The passage where Jesus calls the sons of Zebedee to leave their nets and follow him.

The passage where Jesus tells his potential followers to let the dead bury the dead.

The passage where Jesus tells the people he just healed to take up their beds and follow him.

All of these stories moved me, but also upset me. As I walked out of church one Sunday, I thanked the priest and said "I just need to find a reasonable relationship with God".  A what??? Was I not listening? Am I like the man who wanted to bury his dead father? Am I like so many others in the Bible that want to follow God, but find some reason not to.

Yes, I am being hard on myself. Let's all take a look at our relationship with God. We have options, or at least think we do!  One, we could just do we are doing now and not be concerned about our life in Christ. Other people do that kind of thing. You know who -- priests, deacons, and the folks who help serve the Eucharist. We are too busy to worry about it. Seriously, is this really an option?

Second option: we could ease into a closer relationship with God. Read our Bible more. Attend church more regularly. Get involved with some ministry opportunities to serve others. Pray more often.

Lastly, we go ALL IN. Is that reasonable? Absolutely not! Is that what our God asks of us? Absolutely! By today's standards, I don't think that God requires us to sell everything and live in a commune like the early Christians. I also don't think that upping our game at church is the complete answer either. The ALL IN part is seeking God each and every minute of each and every day for each and every breath. It took me a long time to understand that concept. I am not very good at it. Seeking God in a prayerful mindset through our daily activities at work, dealing with family and friends, at the grocery store, even at the DMV!  Yes, being ALL IN is to constantly seek God and letting God work in our life and work in the lives of others through you.

So the next time you hear a sermon about Jesus asking us "Take up thy..." We know what to say - Here am I, Lord. Send me!

No comments:

Post a Comment