Thursday, March 5, 2015

Lent - Day 16

Lent - Day 16

from Living Well through Lent 2015 study guide

Mark 8:31-38

In the gospel reading for this past Sunday, Jesus announces that he must face physical suffering. "Then [Jesus] began to teach [his disciples] that the Son of Man must undergo great suffering and be rejected by the elders, the chief priests, and the scribes..." (Mark 8:31). Peter wants to say no to this and wants to prevent it, but Jesus rebukes him for this.

Are you facing any physical challenges or suffering right now? Is anyone you know suffering? What does it mean to accept and face suffering, knowing that God is with you and with the others as well? What helps you to be resilient in the face of suffering?

********************
From Duane: I faced something like this when I was 26. God told me in my prayers that I would have some physical problem, but not to worry. I was a poor seminary student at the time and was barely surviving while trying to work two jobs and go to school. I found out shortly after that epiphany that I had cancer. I told my friends "It is OK. It is just cancer. God has this under control." Oh, to have that kind of faith all the time!

As I get older, I find my body is not holding up as well as I would like. Much of that is my own fault for not eating better and keeping my weight down. I know God will help me during this times if I just turn it over to him. I try, but I am not trying hard enough. As resilient as I have been in my life, I struggle to rise from the ashes one more time. (one of my friends calls me a freakin' phoenix!).

My prayers are with you today that you might know resiliency. Know this faith of trusting beyond doubt.



No comments:

Post a Comment