Monday, July 26, 2010

My opinion about reality TV...

ODB.org
My opinion about reality TV doesn't seem to have anything to do with the devotional this morning, so bear with me a for a few minutes. The devotional talks about a young girl with many illnesses who dies before the age of nine. The points being made are: we can learn from anyone on the planet, regardless of their stature in life AND the world is not reserved for the pretty, athletic, intelligent or healthy. The scripture reference talks about each part of the church being equally important.

What does this have to do with reality TV? I believe it became so popular because people want to see folks whose life sucks more than theirs! Admit it. It is a more than a little comforting to see someone struggling more than you are. It makes you feel more than a little validated and more than a little superior! If you are somewhat enlightened, you might even feel thankful that your life is not as bad.

I propose that consider being truly thankful. Being thankful for what we have, for who we are, for the people in our lives, etc, -- being thankful for what we have. Not being thankful for what we don't have, like some terribly affliction like Erin. Just a thought...

Movie Monday
I decided to make Monday my movie day. Since I completed my second masters degree earlier in July (YES! I am thankful to be done!), I have more time to attend movies. Attending movies is one of my favorite activities. It can be sort of expensive, so I try to take advantage of coupons, movie watcher clubs, matinees, etc. to reduce the cost of going to the theater. I also have a home theater setup that I enjoy a great deal.

The movie I saw this weekend was Salt. It is an action thriller starring Angelina Jolee. After all the hype, I wasn't sure what to expect. I enjoyed the movie a lot. There was action, though sometimes implausible along the lines of a James Bond movie, and an interesting plot with twists and turns. Very cool.

When I thought about having a movie day on my blog, I wondered if I wanted to rate each movie. What cute notation would I use? Thumbs? A rating percentage? A scale of 1 to 10? Yes, I do think about things too much sometimes (refer to my over active mind in a previous post). Since I am a bear, I decided to use a scale of bear paws from 1 to 4. Silly, I know, but I can't be intense all the time. I do have a sense of humor.

I give Salt 3 1/2 paws.

Please understand that I am not as critical as the "critics". I like what I like for whatever reasons. Here is a list of the movies I watched at the theater or at home the past few weeks:
The Princess Bride
Willow
West Side Story
2001 A Space Odyssey
Inception
Despicable Me
Good Fellas
Predators
The Last Airbender

Other Stuff
Lastly, I plan to work on my weight loss goals again. I have been off the wagon for the past few months after I figured out I couldn't maintain the pace I set for myself earlier in the year. My weight bounces around a lot. I will figure out what to do next and make it happen. I am fortunate to have some friends who encourage my exercise. Many thanks to my walking buddy for making the walking at lunch time more enjoyable!

No comments:

Post a Comment