Friday, July 30, 2010

Foodie Friday

ODB.org
Whew! Not as intense today! The devotional talked about a huge island of plastic garbage that could be possible if we allow our oceans to become our garbage dumps. Imagine sailing along on the Queen Mary only to notice an island of garbage the size of Texas! The writer encourages us to be good stewards of the world that God gave man to take care of (Genesis 2:15).

I tried to stretch the interpretation of the devotional into some deep "we have to get rid of our emotional garbage" direction, but it just didn't work! On to the next topic for today!

Foodie Friday
Those who know me would not exactly call me a "foodie". A foodie is someone who enjoys tasting and experiencing all types of foods, whether it be eating out or creating it at home with the finest ingredients. I eat what I like and eat a lot of it! ;-) I belong to a dinner group at church. This experience has prompted me to cook more and experiment more outside my comfort zone of meat and potatoes. I will share a recipe each week, usually something I found and made for the dinner group or another potluck group. I might also share a recipe from friends. There will probably be recipes including potatoes....

The recipe this week is a nice summer salad -- artichoke heart salad. The funny part of the story is that I originally made this up with the help of a handsome man at Whole Foods for a Valentines Day theme (hearts, get it, moving on quickly....).

2 cans quartered artichoke hearts
8 ounces smoked provolone cheese cut up into small blocks
4 ounces of pepperoni slices, quartered (or get the mini pepperoni slices)
8 ounces sliced mushrooms (white mushrooms are fine. I like portabello's)
1 bottle light Zesty Italian dressing (you won't use the entire bottle)

Drain the quartered artichoke hearts. Pour into a bowl with the cheese, pepperoni, and mushrooms. Lightly cover the mixture with some of the Zesty Italian dressing and then toss. Cover with plastic wrap or a lid and refrigerate. This tastes best if it marinates overnight, but I have done a "mix and run" batch before. It still tastes great. You might toss the mixture once or twice if you decide to marinate overnight or for more than a few minutes since the dressing will drain down to the bottom of the bowl.

You can also make this with mozzarella cheese or turkey pepperoni or leave out the mushrooms or play with it any way you want. There are some other dressings out there that would probably taste great with this mixture as well. Enjoy!

Other Stuff
I met some coworkers for a drink after work last night. That was the first time I joined them in the two years since I started with this company. I had a nice time since I sort of knew most of them from projects and meetings.

I plan to attend the Shakespeare in the Park presentation of "Much Ado about Nothing" tonight at Schiller Park with our CGLF group from church. It is supposed to be a nice night for it. I have hummus, pita chips and some other snacks ready for the adventure. I joked with my best friend that the title of the play describes my love life right now during my self-imposed "I love my life and don't need anyone else to make me whole" stage. While it would be nice to have a special someone, I don't plan to leave this stage to return to my "hunting" habits of trying to find someone. God made me a promise. I have faith in that promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment