Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Quite the struggle...

ODB.org
Lessons of Obedience -- what other phrase could sum up my life for the past few years as I sought to be closer to God -- as I sought to have the fervor of my youth? If you are human, then lessons of obedience usually suck! They are unpleasant, humiliating, scary and yet also wonderful, comforting, calming and invigorating. So what does it mean when someone tries to teach you a lesson of obedience? Such a person, whether it is a parent, teacher, coach, minister, etc. usually knows something about you. They can know some of your strengths and weaknesses. With God, it shows that He cares. He knows enough about our strength and weaknesses to help us find what is best for our lives. There is no script for each of our lives. There is a set of guidelines that folks have understood a little better over the centuries since God created us all.

For me, there were several lessons of obedience. First, to become more self-disciplined. Those who know me probably think that I am very disciplined already. Yes and No. There are some areas of my life where I am very, very disciplined and very good at getting things done. Not so much in other areas. The two year struggle with my eye issues has had several lessons of obedience and self-discipline. The last three years has culminated in some new self-discipline standards for myself that I put into place in the last three months. Why all of this growth? Why am I pushing myself as I enter my 50s? Two reasons I have seen so far: for my own good and so I can share my experiences with others. Stay tuned...

iTunes Tuesday
I decided to make today "iTunes Tuesday". I love music. I love my iPods. I joke with my friends that my iPods (yes, I have several of them) are like my pets. I gave a friend one my iPods that I wasn't using very much because hers was stolen. I told her "I am doing this because I think you will give it a good home!" Anyway, I love music. Almost any kind of music. I can listen to almost anything, though some kinds of music only hold my attention for a few minutes before my head starts to spin, like Barbershop, rap or very heavy metal. hehehe

The latest additions to my music library are some songs that I am surprised I didn't buy earlier. I purchased a few songs by Mr Mister (are you old enough to remember them? Yikes!). One of my favorite songs is Kyrie. It is an anthem for me each day. Here is a link to the lyrics I don't understand them all, but I like them.

Music also brings humor into my life sometimes. I also purchased the song "Rich Girl" by Gwen Stefani. In my silly mind, I wanted to make it the ring tone for my best friend on my iPhone! I told him that last night. We laughed and laughed. It is the simple things in life that can be the most fun.

Lastly, I added the 2 for 1 album by the Newsboys. The album has the original version of each song and one remix of each song. Very cool. I listen to contemporary Christian music the most when I drive and when I walk. I also have some thump-thump music for walking as well.

Other Stuff
Tomorrow is We-way-shun-ship Wednesday. If you haven't seen the movie The Princess Bride, rent it sometime. Like I mentioned the other day, relationships is not my area of expertise. I will share what I have been feeling and experiencing the past three years since the breakup of my LTR. We will laugh, we will cry, we will sing selections from Cats....

No comments:

Post a Comment