Sunday, May 4, 2014

In remembrance

Our Daily Bread
Do you remember Celebrate Life the youth musical by Burryl Red and Ragan Courtney?  One of the most memorable songs from that musical is In Remembrance.  Here are the words [video]:
in remembrance of me eat this bread
in remembrance of me drink this wine
in remembrance of me pray for the time
when God's own will is done
in remembrance of me heal the sick
in remembrance of me feed the poor
in remembrance of me open the door
and let your brother i, let him in
take eat and be comforted
srink and remember too
that this is my body and precious blood
shed for you, shed for you
in remembrance of me search for truth
in remembrance of me always love
in remembrance of me don't look above
but in your heart, in your heart
look in your heart for God
do this in remembrance ofme
do this in remembrance of me
in remembrance of me

Very cool!  I met the guy who wrote these lyrics when I was in seminary.  I really admired him and his wife.  I remember talking with them about relying on God and depending on him.  Ragan once said "Oh yes, for every BREATH!"  His wife and I gave each other a confused look.  It wasn't until I faced cancer a few months later and slowly learned what that meant!

As we take communion in our churches, let us remember and reflect on what it really means.  Communion changes us!

Lord, please help us not only take communion, but let it take part in us!

Psalm Sunday
This is another one of those "let the evil folks get what they deserve" kind of psalms.  All of us have felt this way at times!  IMHO, the New Testament calls us to love these folks instead of wishing them ill will.  That doesn't mean we can't express these very real and honest feelings to God before we do forgive and love them!

Psalm 141

Prayer for Preservation from Evil

A Psalm of David.

1 I call upon you, O Lord; come quickly to me;
    give ear to my voice when I call to you.
2 Let my prayer be counted as incense before you,
    and the lifting up of my hands as an evening sacrifice.
3 Set a guard over my mouth, O Lord;
    keep watch over the door of my lips.
4 Do not turn my heart to any evil,
    to busy myself with wicked deeds
in company with those who work iniquity;
    do not let me eat of their delicacies.
5 Let the righteous strike me;
    let the faithful correct me.
Never let the oil of the wicked anoint my head,
    for my prayer is continually against their wicked deeds.
6 When they are given over to those who shall condemn them,
    then they shall learn that my words were pleasant.
7 Like a rock that one breaks apart and shatters on the land,
    so shall their bones be strewn at the mouth of Sheol.
8 But my eyes are turned toward you, O God, my Lord;
    in you I seek refuge; do not leave me defenseless.
9 Keep me from the trap that they have laid for me,
    and from the snares of evildoers.
10 Let the wicked fall into their own nets,
    while I alone escape.

***********************************
Living out of love for God and pleasing Him should be our heart’s desire. - Our Daily Bread

No comments:

Post a Comment