Friday, July 4, 2014

Every breath

Our Daily Bread
I may have shared this story before, but I am telling it again since it fits so well with the devotional! While talking to a seminary professor and his wife, we discussed relying completely on the Lord. The professor said something like "Oh YES, for every breath!" His wife and I looked at each other in amazement. We agreed that we need to work harder towards this goal!

I also pondered this devotional from the point of view of a person getting older and wondering how long I can retain my "independence" with all of my health issues. Even the injury last weekend that resulted in 14 stitches and "taking it easy" left me a little wounded otherwise. I am praying about it. While I don't have a roommate any longer, I am fortunate to have many friends that are willing to help me out. I guess my pride keeps me from asking and "being a bother". I am praying about that too.

Regardless of our life situation, we need God, OH how we need God!

Lord, we need thee, really need thee.

Foodie Friday
So I combined two different recipes for a bourbon and chocolate lover cupcake recipe. I made it last night. They turned out great. A hint of bourbon, but not too strong. I used the 85% Cacao chocolate from Aldis. I also only made a half recipe of the frosting.  It was plenty for 24 cupcakes.

Boozy Bourbon Chocolate Cupcakes

Cupcakes
Ingredients
1 box Betty Crocker™ SuperMoist™ devil's food cake mix
1  cup water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup bourbon whiskey
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions
Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pan).

Generously spray 24 regular- size muffin cups with cooking spray. Make cake batter as directed on box, using cake mix, water, oil, bourbon, eggs and vanilla.

Divide batter evenly among muffin cups (about two-thirds full).

Bake 20 to 22 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes; remove from pans to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.

**************************************************
FROSTING
Chocolate Bourbon Buttercream:

8 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped
6 cups confectioners' sugar
16 Tbsp. (2 sticks) unsalted butter
6 Tbsp. milk, plus more, if needed
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. good-quality bourbon whiskey

Directions:
Melt the chocolate and cool to room temperature.

With an electric mixer, combine the confectioners' sugar, butter, milk, vanilla and  salt, and beat on low speed until combined, about 1 minute. Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl.

Increase the speed to medium and beat for 2 minutes, then reduce the speed to low.

Add the chocolate and bourbon, and beat until combined, then increase the speed to medium and beat for 1 minute more.

If the frosting is dry, add more milk, 1 tsp. at a time, until it is creamy but still holds peaks.

******************************************
May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit - Romans 15:13

No comments:

Post a Comment