Tuesday, February 12, 2013

A very personal invitation

Our Daily Bread
I am not much of a social butterfly.  I don't get invited to the popular parties or many special events.  That is fine with me. As far as I am concerned, I am the one that should be doing the inviting!

The devotional talks about the much more significant invitation we have to offer others -- a relationship with God!  How often do we really think about that?  I know I have a tendency to flirt than talk about God.  As a friend calls me, "bad oso" (bear)!  ha!  Changing our attitudes and behaviors to be the voices of God is the most important calling in our lives.  Will we accept that responsibility?

Lord, thank you for our reservations to the most important event we can attend -- our eternal stay with you!

Teaching Tuesday
The lesson this week was the last part of the Samuel and Saul story in Judges.  Very interesting stories if you haven't read them.  Instead of following YAWH, the people of Israel decided they wanted a human king.  The deal was that YAWH would grant them one, but they had to still follow YAWH under the leadership of the new king.  Shortly after Saul became the first king of Israel, the people realized they made a mistake.

Isn't that the way we are sometimes?  Instead of asking for discernment about what to ask for or better yet, trust God for what is best for us, we often ask or even beg God for something or someone that may not be best for us.  We can realize soon after God answers our prayers that we didn't ask for the right thing!

On a personal note, God is trying to teach me something about answered prayers.  If he answers one particular prayer, do I really understand all that comes with the answer?  Everything?  My life would be very, very different if this one prayer is answered.  I need to understand and accept these things before I continue asking.

What are you talking with God about?  Let us pray for each other for discernment and understanding as we follow God!

***************************
Trusting God’s faithfulness dispels our fearfulness. - Our Daily Bread web site

No comments:

Post a Comment