Friday, November 8, 2013

A giver

Our Daily Bread
If you have read this blog at all, you have figured out that I am a silly old bear at times.  One example is when I tease people.  They usually laugh and/or roll their eyes.  "I am a giver.  What can I say?" is my closing comment!  ha!

The story of the widow giving two small coins in the temple is one of my favorite Bible stories.  The devotional gave me a new perspective on this story -- one that helped me understand some folks in my life.  I never understood the importance of letting those less fortunate give to me.  I always thought I was inconveniencing them or being selfish.  It made me feel odd considering that I have so much in this life.  Then I thought of how God might feel.  He needs nothing from us.  He does not require our gifts or praise, yet he accepts each heartfelt gift as though it was the best thing he ever saw (this is my own theory!).  Giving is important for everyone, even those we think can't afford it.

Lord, thank you for your example of giving and loving.  Please help give with a loving and grateful heart.

Foodie Friday
With the weather getting cooler, it is comfort food time again!  Woohoooo!  I made my first pot of chili last weekend.  It turned out great.  Here is a recipe that I want to try this winter.  I think this would cool using a mixture of Yukon Gold and red potatoes (unpeeled).

CHEESY SMOKED SAUSAGE & POTATO CASSEROLE RECIPE
Ingredients:
3 Cups Potatoes, peeled, boiled and cubed (approx. 1 lb)
1 lb Skinless Smoked Sausage
4 tbsp Butter
4 tbsp Flour
2 cups Milk
1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Pepper
1/8 tsp Paprika
1/2 lb Velveeta cheese, diced
1/2 cup Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese

Directions:
Cut skinless smoked sausage in half, lengthwise, and then chop into 1/2" pieces. Cook in a frying pan for about 15 minutes, turning frequently to slightly brown.
Preheat oven to 350°F
Place potatoes in 2 quart casserole. Add cooked meat and give it a gentle toss.
Mix all remaining ingredients (except for shredded cheese & the paprika) in a saucepan over medium heat until warm, melted and smooth. (stir constantly.)
Pour cheese sauce over potatoes and meat. Sprinkle shredded sharp cheddar cheese on top, and then sprinkle paprika evenly over the top.
Bake for 35-45 minutes (watch, until golden brown on top).

************************************
The only remedy for hearts that “want it all” is the contentment found in the presence of the living God. He is sufficient for our needs and longings, and He alone can bring us the peace and contentment we’ll never find in the pursuits of this life. - Our Daily Bread

No comments:

Post a Comment