Tuesday, November 19, 2013

On the road again

Our Daily Bread
I have mixed emotions about next week.  A close friend and I are driving from Ohio to Ft Lauderdale, Florida for a well-earned vacation.  Woooohoooo!  Warmer weather!  While I am looking forward to the destination, I am not looking forward to the long drive to get there.  Whew!  I am thankful that my close buddy will help make the journey more enjoyable!

Christians can have the same attitude towards life at times.  We have a tendency to dwell on our eternal destination and not think about the journey to get there. IMHO, the most important part of being involved with a faith community is having folks to share the journey.  Yes, the destination will be mind blowing!  We often forget that the journey can be amazing as well.

After reading this, I sent my roommate a message thanking him for helping make my way lighter.  I am very thankful for friends like him!

Lord, we know you are with us every step of the way.  I chuckle when I think you may have to drag us part of the way!  

Teaching Tuesday
Gospel of John
Since I am going to be out of town next week, I read the Gospel of John and the chapter in the text book.  What an amazing read!  Several of the verses I know from my youth are from John.  It has pages and pages of Jesus declaring who he is, unlike most of the other gospels.

The Gospel of John was written later than the other gospels.  Many theologians attribute its clear theology and style to that fact.  It is considered by many one of the most well-written pieces of literature of that period (late first century).  It is seen as having access to the various sources that were available.  There are indications that some of the story were told from a first-hand or second-hand point of view.  We do not know for sure.  The most common belief is that a group of believers that followed John compiled the book.  Whoever wrote it did a great job!  There are also many stories in John that aren't in the other Gospels.

My favorite reading was about the question: Who killed Jesus?  When asked this question in a Bible study class several years ago, I said "No one killed Jesus.  Jesus gave his life for us".  The class looked at me like I had three heads on my shoulders!  Well, the text book said basically the same thing!  Jesus had it all under control.  He gave his life for us.  No one took it!

Read through the Gospel of John deliberately and dwell on each story!

*************************************************
“Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us, to Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen” (Eph. 3:20-21 niv).

No comments:

Post a Comment