Monday, November 4, 2013

The other side of the fence

Our Daily Bread
A friend was talking about looking for another job that would soooo much better than the one he had.  I reminded him that "the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence"!  The example in the devotional was clear about that!

The devotional talks about a soldier than left the safety of the fort to help the wounded soldiers of the opposition!  How many of us would do that?  I would have a very difficult time!  How many of us would help those less fortunate even if we felt completely safe?  I have a difficult time with that way too often!  God calls us to step out of our comfort zones to serve him and minister to others.  It is often awkward when we first start.  We can learn new skills.  We can learn new boldness inspired by the power of the Holy Spirit.  We can stir new compassion from our Savior Jesus!

Lord, thank you for our call to serve you and serve others.  Please help us rely on the Holy Spirit to move us out of our comfort zones!

Movie Monday
I saw two movies at the theater this week.  I had a great Groupon deal for Gateway Film Center on campus.  Woohoooo!  I saw Ender's Game and Captain Phillips.

Ender's Game
Based on a popular young adult book, this movie is about a boy named Ender that is chosen to lead Earth's battle against alien invaders.  He and the other children are trained for months to learn the stuff that adults used to learn about space wars.  I am not sure I liked the story very much, but I liked the special effects.  Some friends that read the book thought the movie was true to the book.

I give this movie two bear paws.  See it in the theater if you want to see the special effects on the big screen or if you are a huge fan of the book.

Captain Phillips
This movie, starring Tom Hanks, is based on a true story about the captain of a large cargo ship that was hijacked off the African coast.  It is an interesting story told in a very long and drawn out movie that lost my interest several times.  Knowing it was based on a true story made up for the movie's shortcomings in most cases, but I still think it was too long.  It took too long for the story to develop.  Tom Hanks was great.  Not sure about the other actors.

I give this one two bear paws, too.  It would be a decent rental on a cold winter night.

*************************************
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever. - Hebrews 13:8

No comments:

Post a Comment