Thursday, November 14, 2013

Are you being served?

Our Daily Bread
"Are you being served?" is the name of a British comedy on BBC set in a department store.  The sales folks approach each customer with the phrase.  The characters and interactions between them are hilarious!

A better question to ask Christians is: Are you serving?  Yes, we are called to serve if we truly love Christ!  Many folks think that serving has to be some big, obvious action that lots of people will see you doing.  NOT!  I have been blessed over the years by seeing so many folks serve others to the best of their abilities and resources.  One of my fondest memories from college is a lady from my home church that would speak with me every time I visited home.  She would encourage me, tell me she was praying for me and slip me a $5 bill.  I had a hard time accepting the money because I knew she was on a fixed income, but it meant a lot to her.  God used her as an example for this silly old bear.  I still tear up a bit when I think about her!

Lord, please help us find our place or places to serve to show our love to you through others!

Technology Thursday
iPad Mini with Retina Display
Yes, I am a gadget geek.  I bought a 16 gig iPad Mini with Retina display on Tuesday when they became available.  For now, you have to order the devices online.  You have the option to have it shipped to you or to pick it up in a local store if they are in stock.

I opened the smallish package and found a cute little tablet. I just wanted to hug it because it was so cute!  ha!  I turned it on and activated it.  Setting it up as a new iPad was easy and fast.  I took some time to pick which apps I wanted on the device (since I only have 16 on it).  Arranging the icons and setting up my Kindle app was very snappy.  I felt like the interface was "snappier" than the iPad Air, but that may just be me.

I read my Bible study chapter on it last night.  I had to increase the size of the font and still had to use my reading glasses to read it.  The screen is crisp and clear.  The text was very nice.  I haven't look at pictures or movies or anything like on it yet.

Good things (in my opinion):  snappy interface, nice screen, nice form factor, easy iOS7 OS to play with
Not so good things: The price.  Yikes!  The form factor might be too small for me after using my iPad Air.  The Air is not much heavier (about four ounces) and has a much larger screen.

I will decide if I will keep it or not after this weekend.

**************************************************
Living out of love for God and pleasing Him should be our heart’s desire. - Our Daily Bread

No comments:

Post a Comment