Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Brighter than Vegas

Our Daily Bread
Have you ever been to Times Square or the strip in Las Vegas? I was amazed at all the lights and the brightness of those lights at nighttime! Wow! I saw the Vegas strip from the 25th floor of a hotel. It was amazing seeing all those lights in the middle of a bleak desert!

I thought of these places when reading the devotional. It talks about the light of God and how it is brighter than anything we could imagine. No sunglasses needed in heaven! Not only does that light lead us in this life, but we will live for eternity in its glow! Praise God!

Lord Jesus, you are the light of this world...and the world to come!

Teaching Tuesday
Plan B
So I haven't started my summer reading yet. I planned to start it over the weekend, but that didn't happen. I planned to read the first few chapters of the first book last night. That didn't happen either. What happens in the mind of a planner when things don't go as planned?

There are two things that can happen. The planner can get down on him/herself and plan and fail over and over again due to things that are probably out of his/her control. Or get down on him/herself because s/he didn't have the self-discipline to finish a plan instead of getting distracted.  Hmmmmm. I don't think I have ever felt this way. ha!

The second thing is to give your plans and schedule over to God. I call it Plan B. When you get up in the morning, ask God to take over your calendar for the day. I say something like "God, I have stuff planned for today, but the things you have in mind for me to do are much more important. Please let me know YOUR plan for my day!" This practice made a big difference in my life. I dont' remember to do it every day. I try. This practice is a perfect example of God's ways being the best for us. I don't feel down about not getting the stuff done that I planned because I know I did something much more important!

How about you?

**************************************
Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God - William Carey

No comments:

Post a Comment