Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Super glue for our hearts

Our Daily Bread
I learned an important lesson many years ago -- duct tape cannot be used to fix everything! Who knew? Ha! Sometimes you need Super Glue! yes! We all know that Super Glue doesn't always work either. There are other adhesives that are much more powerful and long lasting. Just be careful not to sticky your fingers together! Ouch! (not that I have ever done that...)

I accepted Christ when I was eight years old. My worst sins at that tender age were telling a few fibs and stealing a couple of pieces of chalk at school. My parents taught me that those behaviors were not appropriate. When I heard the story of Jesus in Sunday School. It made sense to me. I wanted him in my life. Yes, there have been some worse sins along the way that I will NOT discuss here, but I learned along the way that we are to try our best to avoid sins. We won't be perfect until we reach our eternal home, but we can do our best here on earth to make earth as much like heaven as possible!

Lord, the blood of your Son can bind our lives back together so we can be a useful vessel to share  your love!

Teaching Tuesday
I have to admit that I STILL haven't started my summer reading. Yikes! I have had stuff to do! ha! The interesting thing is that God has been teaching me a lot about being around people this week. I am extrovert so I enjoy being around people. I don't always pay attention to the people around me the way I should. Here are some examples and some ways that God taught this old bear some things.

While helping some friends consolidate storage units last week, I was worried about how my body would react to the heat and lifting stuff.  I quickly saw that I was not the one who I need to worry about. Two of my friends were absolutely miserable and were feeling the effects of the heat and humidity.
Leason reinforced: It is not always about me. Others are often in dire need of attention assistance.

I assisted with our church's homeless ministry on Thursday. I was surprised by some of the folks in the shelter -- some who were gay or identified with opposite sex. My heart immediately went out to them as I thought of going home to my cozy house and wonderful life. Being who you are isn't always easy nor is it always comfortable.
Lesson reinforced: Always be thankful. Never judge. Always do what you can to help others in need.

While walking in the Pride Parade on Saturday, I had several interesting things happen. First I walked with a 22 year old young woman who had just come out to her father. He invited her to walk in the Columbus Pride Parade with him and his group from work. She was overwhelmed by her father's response and invitation. We bonded for some reason and talked throughout the parade. At one point, she was so happy, so looked at me and said "Can I give you a hug?" Yes, of course!
Lesson learned: Always be open to new friendships. You never know who needs you and who will touch your life.

In the same group of folks was a gay couple who had been together for 45 years. They told me the story of their upcoming wedding. They originally planned to go to Hawaii to get married, their dream wedding. When discussing their plans with their closest friends, they found out that they couldn't make that trip due to health reasons. The couple changed their plans to get married in New York at Niagra Falls so their "family" could be there to share in that special event.
Lessons learned: I may not be able to share a 45th anniversary with a special man, but I can share what time I have with someone special and the folks that I consider my family when the time comes.

While walking along the parade route, I saw all kinds of people. The haters who think that homosexuality is against the Bible (though judging is definitely against what the Bible teaches and they do that very easily...). The sign that said "The Mennonite Church welcomes you". Wow! A fifty something woman who didn't look like someone who would wear a "I love my gay son" tshirt. So many couples, young and old, all different races, creeds, colors, and gender identities.
Lesson reinforced: God loves us ALL. We should love others as well!

*********************************************
You cannot say you've forgiven someone if in your heart you hope they are still suffering. Howerton

No comments:

Post a Comment