Monday, June 16, 2014

Children are the future

Our Daily Bread
It is more than a little ironic that a gay man with no experience with fatherhood is writing about children! The devotional touched me for a few reasons. First, I did some volunteer work at an orphanage in Louisville when I worked with the Louisville Jaycees. The kids were so great, you wondered why they all hadn't been scooped up by some lucky family. Of course, there were also some "challenging" children that seemed to always be in the middle of something or needed special attention. I was paired with one of those kids when we took them to a hockey game. I was told afterwards that I was a natural with children and should have lots of them! Oh boy...

Thinking of that experience and reading the Old Testament, I think about our relationship with our Heavenly Father. Like I mentioned yesterday, thinking of God as my Heavenly Father is important to me. When I think of our relationship, I realize that I am one of the "challenging" children much like the children of Israel. We read OT story after story of how God's children failed their God and Father. I laughed one day that God invented the "time out" when he had the children of Israel wander for forty years after the incident with the golden idols and Moses. LOL Let's think of their story then. Let's think about and pray about our story now. We are God's children of the present and the future!

Lord, you know us. You lead us. You put us in time out because of our disobedience. We thank you and praise you for having our best interests at heart!

Movie Monday
I saw three movies this week. Interesting flicks...

The Raid 2
This is a martial arts movie with some amazing fight scenes. It is very, very violent so only see it if stuff like that doesn't bother you. It is another one of those "that guy should NOT have lived through this movie" kind of adventure. It is just a movie.

I give this one two bear paws for the action scenes. Not much of a plot acting otherwise. It is at the dollar movies now, so splurge!  ;-)

The Fault in Our Stars
A friend sort of challenged me to see this movie, otherwise known as a teenage girl tear jerker.  I think I was the only guy who went to see it during my showing (there may have been one guy with his wife). Well, it was definitely a tear jerker!  Without giving too much of the plot away, this is the story of two teenagers who are dealing with cancer and the aftereffects of cancer. They fall in love. You will have to see the movie to find out the rest! Take your tissues!

I give this movie three bear paws for the acting and beautiful story. No need to see it on the big screen unless you want to see it sooner rather than later.

The Monuments Men
This movie is based on actual historical events near the end of WWII. A team of experts were gathered to assist in saving as much of the art and historical items stolen by the Nazis. As they pulled back to Germany, the Nazis tried to destroy everything they could.  The Monuments Men helped prevent hundreds of thousands of pieces from being destroyed.  It has an all-star cast that seems to work well together.

I give this movie three bear paws. It is mercifully short (1.5 hours) and appears to be pretty accurate historically. It is also at the dollar movies.

************************************
The Bible is a like a "tweet" about God.  We don't have enough characters available to tell of His glory! - Fitzpatrick

No comments:

Post a Comment