Friday, April 10, 2015

Giving

Our Daily Bread
One of the Year Four folks shared this story from their weekly reading assignment. A visitor to a very poor country spent as much time trying to understand and help the less fortunate folks living there. He met a mother and son who survived on the very meager amount of coins the boy could beg for each day. When the boy arrived and proudly gave his mother the coins, the mother promptly put some of the coins in a small jar.  When the visitor asked the mother what the money in the jar was for, expecting to hear she was saving up for something, she meekly replied "Oh, that money is for the poor."  She shared with others despite her own need and dire circumstances.

As I was going through my closets pulling our old or unwanted clothes, I looked at my abundance with shame. Even though I try to share my abundance with those less fortunate, the stacks of unused clothes was a monument to my selfishness. I will take a picture of that monument. I will take a picture of closets and drawers still filled with clothes and shoes. I will remember. I will do better.

What about you?

Foodie Friday
Did you see the recall notice from a major hummus manufacturer this week? If you like  hummus, it is pretty easy to make your own. Heck, I can do it!  Here is the basic recipe I use. You can add or subtract to suit your taste.  For example, I use a lot more garlic. I also found tahini on sale at Meijer, which gives the hummus an earthier taste.  I sometimes omit the tahini if I don't have any. (FYI, I posted this previously in my blog...)

Lemon Garlic Hummus
Ingredients:
1 15 oz. can chickpeas or garbanzo beans
1 teaspoon minced garlic or 2 cloves garlic, crushed
3 tablespoons lemon juice
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons tablespoons tahini (sesame paste)
Salt and pepper to taste

Preparation:
Drain chickpeas and set aside liquid from can. Combine remaining ingredients in blender or food processor. Add 1/4 cup of liquid from chickpeas. Blend for 3-5 minutes on low until thoroughly mixed and smooth. Place in serving bowl, and create a shallow well in the center of the hummus. Add a small amount (1-2 tablespoons) of olive oil in the well. Serve immediately with fresh, warm or toasted pita bread, or cover and refrigerate.

I usually serve this with flavored pita chips or multigrain chips. My friend makes fresh toasted pita chips with a little garlic button on them. Enjoy!

****************************************************
We know we were made for so much more than ordinary lives
Its time for us to more than just survive
We were made to thrive
- Thrive by Casting Crowns

No comments:

Post a Comment