Wednesday, April 8, 2015

The world's best smelling garage

Our Daily Bread
I am always teasing my poor roommate about something -- even when he is trying to get considerate. He recently decided, after renting a room from me for most of the last 3.5 years, that he needed to apply cologne in the garage instead of the guest bathroom he uses. I noticed one more that I didn't smell the usual blast of cologne when I opened my bedroom door (yes, he wears a lot of cologne at times). When I opened the garage door -- WOOOSH! -- I was enveloped by the smell of his latest favorite scent. I sent him an instant message at work "Wow, the garage smelled amazing this morning!"  Yes, I am a silly old bear!

The point of this silly story is that God can sometimes send us fragrant scents from unexpected places in our lives. Whether it be in a garage or some ministry we are not quite sure about, our generous acts of love toward others are like a “sweet-smelling aroma, an acceptable sacrifice, well pleasing to God” (Phil. 4:18).

Think about what loving act you will do for someone today, and then stop and smell the sweet-smelling aroma.

Wellness Wednesday
After watching my roommate start exercising again and getting some nice results, I am a little more motivated to try exercising and weight loss again. I try to watch what I eat, but I keep going back to my old joke: I hold on to my bad eating habits tighter than a box of Hohos on a Saturday night!  Heavy sign...  I do eat better than before, but I need to do even better and be consistent.

My exercise routine has been interrupted by severe hip pain. I have a doctor appointment the end of April to have it seen. I was told two years ago that I had arthritis starting in my left hip. I will see how things look now and find out what I can do to remain active.

I write these things not to have a pity party for myself, but to encourage you and me to find ways to stay active. I found some yoga routines for men that would help. Tai Chi is not very stressful on the body. It is very effective with its breating and stretching routines.

We can do this. Say it with me: We can do this!

***************************************
We accept the love we think we deserve -- from the Perks of Being a Wallflower

No comments:

Post a Comment