Monday, January 14, 2013

What did you do?

Our Daily Bread
"What did you do?"  "I didn't do anything!" was a typical conversation when I was in college and a young adult.  I played practical jokes on people a lot back then.  It was all in fun though I went too far sometimes.  The interrogation sounds like the one that Job's friends gave him when trouble came his way!

The devotional is about having humility and being an encouraging person when things are going well for you.  We all think that if things are going bad for someone that God left them behind due to their sins.  God is punishing them for one reason or another like story of Job.  Did Job's friends try to encourage Job to have faith or trust in God?  No, they accused him of sins, both known and unknown, as the root cause of his issues.

In my silly old head, I am not sure God does the punishing.  I think we are left with ourselves in a sinful state after we are disobedient.  That is punishment enough!  The wages of our sins are not always paid immediately, but there are always consequences for our actions.

Lord, thank you for never letting us suffer more than we can bear.  Like the phrase at the end of this blog entry, we know that we may not truly appreciate things unless we feel pain and joy.

Movie Monday
I had a relaxing weekend so I saw several movies.  I will review the new ones that came out -- Gangster Squad and A Haunted House.

Gangster Squad
Gangsta Squad is about the dethroning of Mickey Cohen as the crime boss in the Los Angeles area in the late 40s.  A "don't take your badge with you" group of cops nicknamed the Gangster Squad.  They went to war against organized crime since there were many cops and judges "on the take".  The movie was about two hours long, but didn't feel that long.  The action was good.  The acting was very good.  Sean Penn played a vicious Mickey Cohen.  There is lots of violence in this movie as the cops and robbers shoot it up so beware.

I give this movie three bear paws.  There is no overwhelming need to see it in the theaters except that you will see it sooner!

A Haunted House
I wanted something light and funny and I got it.  This movie from the Wayans had some horribly funny scenes as they made fun of recent scary movies such as the Paranormal Activity series.  It was the same story as odd things start happening around the house after the lead character's girlfriend moves in with him.  There are a LOT of funny moments, but there are a LOT of naughty moments as well.  For example, the girlfriend's best friend and her husband are swingers.  Lots of sex talk throughout the movie.  Cedric the Entertainer was the highlight of the movie as far as I am concerned.

I give this movie one bear paw.  It is a naughty R rated movie.  It is funny in so many ways and wrong in so many more.

****************************
One of the many great mysteries of life is there is no love in this world without an equal amount of pain. What is the alternative? To never love anyone or anything? I love deeply, therefore I hurt deeply - Ms Inez

No comments:

Post a Comment