Sunday, January 13, 2013

We know the ending...

Our Daily Bread
If you read this blog on Mondays or watch my Facebook feed, I see a lot of movies.  One of the characteristics of a good movie is that you are pulled into the story even when you know the ending.  The movie, Argo, is a good example of this.  

Our lives can be sort of like a movie where we already know the ending.  Yes, we are often pulled into the drama and stress of a profound story, but we can also be assured throughout our "stories" that we know the ending.  We will be with God.  We will celebrate the ending for all eternity.  It will be even better than winning an Oscar!  

Lord, thank you for the promise of eternity with you.  Please help live our lives like we already know the ending!

Psalm Sunday
I call the first part of Psalm 77 a "pity party" psalm where the author appears to be feeling sorry for himself.  It appears that God has forsaken him.  God has left him dangling at the end of a rope and his spirit is growing weak.  Haven't we all felt that way at one time or another?  Maybe you are feeling that way right now?  Now look at verse eleven.  Remembering all the things that God did for him earlier in his life brings him to a new place.  A place of praise and worship for the mighty things God has done.  For the mighty things God has done in his life!  I hope we can all do the same!

Psalm 77

For the director of music. For Jeduthun. Of Asaph. A psalm.

1 I cried out to God for help;
    I cried out to God to hear me.
2 When I was in distress, I sought the Lord;
    at night I stretched out untiring hands,
    and I would not be comforted.
3 I remembered you, God, and I groaned;
    I meditated, and my spirit grew faint.
4 You kept my eyes from closing;
    I was too troubled to speak.
5 I thought about the former days,
    the years of long ago;
6 I remembered my songs in the night.
    My heart meditated and my spirit asked:
7 “Will the Lord reject forever?
    Will he never show his favor again?
8 Has his unfailing love vanished forever?
    Has his promise failed for all time?
9 Has God forgotten to be merciful?
    Has he in anger withheld his compassion?”
10 Then I thought, “To this I will appeal:
    the years when the Most High stretched out his right hand.
11 I will remember the deeds of the Lord;
    yes, I will remember your miracles of long ago.
12 I will consider all your works
    and meditate on all your mighty deeds.”
13 Your ways, God, are holy.
    What god is as great as our God?
14 You are the God who performs miracles;
    you display your power among the peoples.
15 With your mighty arm you redeemed your people,
    the descendants of Jacob and Joseph.
16 The waters saw you, God,
    the waters saw you and writhed;
    the very depths were convulsed.
17 The clouds poured down water,
    the heavens resounded with thunder;
    your arrows flashed back and forth.
18 Your thunder was heard in the whirlwind,
    your lightning lit up the world;
    the earth trembled and quaked.
19 Your path led through the sea,
    your way through the mighty waters,
    though your footprints were not seen.
20 You led your people like a flock
    by the hand of Moses and Aaron.

***************************************
I am far from perfect, but despite my mistakes and my sins, I will never abandon the Lord and he will never abandon me - adapted from a statement about Abraham from the EfM Training Guide

No comments:

Post a Comment