Wednesday, January 9, 2013

What do I owe?

Our Daily Bread
There was a lovely romantic song playing over the airwaves many years ago called "I owe you".  A lover sings about how he owes so much to the person he loves.  The chorus ends with "its the sweetest debt I will ever have to pay".  Wow!

Some debts are not so sweet to pay!  We have all had them.  We begrudgingly write out the check for our taxes or show up for community service or volunteer for the lowliest of jobs to pay a debt.  That is not how God wants us to pay our debts.  He wants us to recognize our debts.  He wants us to pay them honestly and fairly.  The devotional gives the example of the story of Nicodemus in Luke 19.  Most folks remember Nicodemus as the short man who crawled up in a tree to see Jesus.  Luke 19 has the rest of the story.  After meeting Jesus, Nicodemus the dishonest tax collector vowed to pay his debts and make right his indiscretions.  His life changed after meeting Jesus!

Lord, help us to acknowledge debts, known and unknown.  Please help us do the right thing!

Wellness Wednesday
Financial Wellness, part 1
The first of the year usually brings some obligatory New Year's resolutions.  The resolutions are usually about losing weight, quitting smoking, etc.  We don't usually think of financial resolutions.  My guess is that financial resolutions are more difficult and painful that working out!  Personally, I find being financially disciplined very difficult.  I have a tendency to "buy myself some happy" at times like Karen in Will and Grace.  So what can we do about this?

There are several resources available for budgeting and managing your budget including computer software, phone or tablet apps, web sites, etc.  I have never been good at budgeting.  I want to make a commitment to myself to budget and stick to my budget.  I want to commit to paying down my credit cards and never running them up again.  It is the day-by-day types of personal discipline that escape me in my life in general.

So let's make a pact.  Figure out what you want to do for your financial wellness in 2013.  Write it down.  Make it happen.  It sounds so easy when I write it that way!  I will post my goals next week.

*********************************
u r a bcog  u r fawm  Now believe it!

No comments:

Post a Comment