Monday, January 21, 2013

Set it free...

Our Daily Bread
I may have told this story once or twice before, but here it goes again.  We have a joke in my family on the old saying.  "If you love something, set it free.  If it comes back to you, it was meant to be.  If it doesn't..." That is where we change it to "then you HUNT IT DOWN!"  ha!  Just a silly joke.  We don't really do that....

I was trying to lead into a nice devotional on love and the prodigal son.  Do you have a prodigal child that you have welcomed home or would love to welcome home?  Were you a prodigal child?  In my world, I have been the prodigal friend who said or did things that hurt someone special.  I have also been on the other end of that hurt.  How do we act when we are the prodigal?  How do we act when we are the "father" in the prodigal son story?  The parts of the story that amazes me the most are:  "he saw him from a far off" and no lecture or punishment.  "He saw him from a far off' meant that the father was looking for him every day to come home.  He held hope that his son was still alive and well.  It was very unusual in those days for a man of his stature to "watch" for someone.  He usually had a servant take care of that!  THEN, he accepted his son back with no lecture or punishment.  If it had been me, I don't know what I would have done.  Turn him over my knee.  Lecture him til he wished he hadn't come home.  I don't know.

The one thing I do know is that when someone special, regardless of being the father or the son in the story, returns to your life, you should love and rejoice!

Lord, thank you so much for your love.  Please help us always love the same way regardless of the situation.

Movie Monday
I saw three movies last week-- Silver Linings Playbook, Zero Dark Thirty and Broken City.  I am trying to see all the Oscar nominees for best picture.

Silver Linings Playbook
I can see why this movie and its lead actors were nominated for the Oscars.  The story line is oddly romantic and sad and happy and unpredictable.  It has that oddness that the Academy seems to like when a movie like this comes out.  The acting was incredible.  Jennifer Lawrence deserves the Best Actress award, hands down, over any of the other performances I saw last year.  The topics in the movie upset me a little.  Folks with mental illnesses hold a soft spot in my heart.  It was difficult for me to watch at times.

I give this movie three bear paws. It will be out on video soon.  See it.

Zero Dark Thirty
This is the story of how Osama Bin Laden was found and killed.  It was interesting to watch, but very slow in places for a 2.5 hour movie.  Jessica Chastain was good in it.  As an Academy Award nominee, I thought her performance paled in comparison to others I watched.  This movie had some content that I didn't like either.  There were some torture scenes that really upset me.  I realize that our country has to do these things.  Do we?

I give this movie three bear paws.  Very well put together.  Rent it.

Broken City
Broken City wasn't nominated for an Oscar and for good reason.  It is a decent run of the mill kind of movie with some big stars.  I thought the movie was just OK.  The story line was just OK.  The acting was just OK because the script didn't give them much to work with.

I give this one two bear paws.  No need to rush to the theater to see it.  It is a decent rental on Netflix.

************************************

I am far from perfect, but despite my mistakes and my sins, I will never abandon the Lord and he will never abandon me - adapted from a statement about Abraham from the EfM Training Guide

No comments:

Post a Comment