Saturday, January 26, 2013

What is done in the dark...

Our Daily Bread
One of the reasons I would rather watch movies than TV is great story lines.  I find that movies, in general, have better story lines and writing that TV shows.  This is a generalization and not always true of every movie!

The devotional talks about a unique story line -- the story of our life in Christ.   Wow!  I wonder who will play me in the movie version!  Yikes!  Probably John Goodman.  What do you think?  But I digress.  Think about all the difficult little details that will be available for every one to read.  Also imagine what "I did it behind the scenes" things that could be discovered as well.  How would  your life story read?  I think mine would be a mix of the movie Halloween and the movie Airplane!  ha!

I have a Bible paraphrase that most of my friends hate "What is done in the darkness shall be brought to the light".  That is a scary thought for all of us!  I finally looked up the scripture passage for the exact wording.  It is I Corinthians 4:5:
5 Therefore judge nothing before the appointed time; wait until the Lord comes. He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of the heart. At that time each will receive their praise from God.

What will the light show when it shines on our motives?

Lord, thank you for being the light of the world.  Please help us be light and not hide things in darkness!

Simply Saturday
Not judging
Those of you that have met me in person know that I have a big mouth.  Well, a big voice to be more precise.  It comes from vocal training in college and having a naturally resonant voice.  I am not saying this to brag, but to explain one of the reasons that I have to be careful when I speak out.  Some people find me to be physically intimidating because of my barrel chest and massive arms, OK, not that many people...  I also look people in the eye and speak with confidence.  The combination of these things inspired one friend to describe me a "formidable".  I had to think about that one.

I described myself because I have a problem.  I can come across as being very judgmental when I am just expressing an opinion.  I really hate that.  My feeling is that if I care enough to say something, then I am not being judgmental.  I care.  Caring doesn't usually accompany judgmental behavior.  I guess I am alone in that assumption!  Oh well.

So what to do?  First, be careful of how I use my voice.  My voice teacher is working with me to raise the pitch of my speaking voice to a more appropriate pitch.  I discovered the higher pitch also softens the tone of my voice and doesn't sound as much like the Wizard of Oz voice with the fire and smoke!  ha!  It helps me sound more upbeat than before.  I like the new sound and the new image of myself that my mind is wrapping around slowly.

Second, watch my words.  After working in a company with lots and lots of passive-aggressive people who don't like the word "no", I should be better at saying things appropriately and getting things done peacefully.  Knowing what to say is very important.

Lastly, be more patient.  I had a huge argument with a former friend, note "former" friend, last summer.  After talking to him til I was blue in the face about some things in his life, I finally blew up.  I felt like he was sliding a slippery slope and was going to get hurt.  I screamed and yelled in emails and got into major trouble.  Heavy sigh.  Sometimes, only God can change a heart and a mind.  Words cannot do it.  This was reinforced in me the other day.  A friend that had some of the same issues texted me to say he resolved one of the issues.  I had been praying for him about the issue.  God moved in his heart and he responded.  I can't make people do what is best for them.  I have to let God work.

Not judging is the goal.  I am not the general manager of the universe.  God made it.  He is over everything.  He really doesn't need my help managing his creation!  ha!

************************************
Trusting God’s faithfulness dispels our fearfulness. - Our Daily Bread web site

No comments:

Post a Comment