Friday, August 2, 2013

Comfort ye

Our Daily Bread
Have you ever read the lyrics to the Prayer of St Francis of Assisi?  Here they are from Wikipedia:
Lord, make me an instrument of your peace,
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
Where there is injury, pardon;
Where there is doubt, faith;
Where there is despair, hope;
Where there is darkness, light;
Where there is sadness, joy.
O Divine Master,
grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled, as to console;
to be understood, as to understand;
to be loved, as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive.
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
and it is in dying that we are born to Eternal Life.
Amen.

Wow!  I thought this prayer went perfectly with today's devotion, specifically the line "grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled, as to console;"  Wow!  The verses Isaiah 40:1-3 that Handel used in his masterpiece Messiah have always spoken to me.  Having been a sickly person many times in life, I have been on the receiving end of "consoling" or "comforting" many times.  God lead me to be the comforter or consoler many times as well.  While circumstances may vary, it is comforting to hear and to say "Well, I know how it was for me when I went through that...".  Someone who knows and understands is always with us.  While Jesus may not have experienced every human situation, he did experience many things that we will never know or understand.  He is with us.  He knows what it is like to be human.  He comforts us if we lay our cares on him!

Lord, thank you for being there for us.  Please help us serve you better by casting all our cares on you!

Foodie Friday
I don't know why I didn't about this earlier in the Summer, but here it is any way: summer grilling recipes!  I found a few specific recipes and some collections of recipes that looked great!  Here they are:

Grilled New Potato Packet From Kraft:

Grilling Recipes: 100 Ideas For Summer (PHOTOS)

BBQ & Grilling recipes from Allrecipes.com

*******************************
Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong. 1 Corinthians 16:13

No comments:

Post a Comment