Thursday, August 1, 2013

Those darn thoughts...

Our Daily Bread
I am a thinker/planner/doer.  That is my personality in a nutshell.  The combination can come between me and God at times.  I have to be careful.  I fight a daily struggle with thinking about things too much, specifically quickly dismissing negative thoughts or what I call "scenarios".  Scenarios are things that are very, very unlikely to happen, like an encounter with someone that doesn't want to be my friend any more, that I let swirl in my head until it upsets me more and more.  I am embarrassed at times when I say out loud "stop it!" when I am walking or working out!  Yikes!

I am comforted to know that I am in good company.  David had some of the same issues, though most of the time his scenarios were more realistic.  His real-life scenarios were much worse than anything I could dream up!  What did David do?  Did he start singing one of those beautiful praise psalms?  Not usually!  He would write and or read the psalms that reminded him of God's faithfulness.  He dispelled his doubts by remembering how God worked in other situations, even when they seemed impossible.  God knows.  God cares.  Cast all your cares upon him for he cares for you!

Lord, thank you for the still waters that you will lead us beside if we love  you and trust you!

Technology Thursday
Leap Motion - Review
I connected and installed the software for the Leap Motion device I received last week.  If you didn't catch my article about the device, it is a motion sensor much like the Microsoft Kinect game option that senses the movements of your hands over the device to do stuff on your computer screen. Here are my observations:

  • I think I need a faster processor and/or graphics card make this work better.  I have an older quad core AMD chip.  The performance seemed to lag when using the device.
  • The free apps/games that were included help me get an idea of what the device could do -- and not do.  Simple, slow gestures work OK.  It had a hard time figuring out what I was trying to do when playing a game where I had to make a quick gesture to cut a rope.  
  • I agree with the article I posted last week that said the device was trying to solve a problem that doesn't yet exist!  I am not sure what I will use it for.  What was I hoping for?  I was hoping for an easy way to add a touch screen interface to Windows 8 without having a touch screen.  It would be very cool to have an "air screen" that I can manipulate without having to actually touch the screen.  It would be great in the kitchen!
  • It is packaged well.  They give you two cords (that are non-standard cords) -- a short one and a long one.  They have you download the software instead of packaging a small disk.  The device is small and very sleek looking.

My recommendation is to wait until more apps are available.  If they ever create the Windows 8 control interface, I am right there!

*************************************
You cannot say you've forgiven someone if in your heart you hope they are still suffering. Howerton

No comments:

Post a Comment