Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Like my father

Our Daily Bread
I hope this isn't too personal to share, but I never met my biological father.  He took off after he found out my mother was pregnant and wanted nothing to do with us.  There is a story about my grandfather and a shot gun, but the details are sketchy!  I can only imagine what my biological father might look like when I look in the mirror, then factor out the characteristics I inherited from my mother's side of the family.

We don't have to "guess" when it comes to our Heavenly Father.  The Bible tells us the characteristics we inherited from him.  It also tells us the characteristics we inherited from the first generations of mankind.  We have a choice about how we want to live our lives -- with our Heavenly Father leading us or as orphans wandering this life without meaning and purpose.  What choice will you make today?

Lord, thank you for creating everything around us, even the stuff we still haven't discovered!  Please help us choose to be like our Heavenly Father!

Teaching Tuesday
Pay attention
I didn't take the time to start the Mere Christianity book over the weekend.  I had a nasty cold and couldn't focus on what I was reading.  I had something happen that I wanted to share today.

The topic is "pay attention".  God reinforced what I already knew, but didn't practice on a daily basis.  Paying attention to the events and experiences in your life and asking God to teach you something from each one.  It seems so obvious.  We get busier and busier and don't take the time to think, pray and meditate.

I had an epiphany over the weekend.  Yes, I seem to learn through epiphanies.  I am not sure why.  I think it is because it can take a while for things to get through my thick skull!  But I digress...  God used a friendship to teach me about some things that I need to change in my life.  What?  Me change?  Yikes!  I also realized that I wronged some folks in the past.  I texted or emailed them to apologize.  I never realized.  DOH!

My prayer for you is that you will be more aware than me.  Pay attention!

************************************
“Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths” (Prov. 3:5-6).

No comments:

Post a Comment