Saturday, August 17, 2013

Time out

Our Daily Bread
It is my understanding that a "time out" is something a parent uses to teach children their actions are not appropriate.  When I was growing up, we either had to stand in the corner until we apologized or we were spanked.  Times have changed, probably for the good!

God can use a "time out" for multiple purposes.  He can use it to teach us that our actions are not appropriate.  More often, he uses a time out to get us to slow down and spend more time with him.  To rest in him.  To recharge ourselves so we can serve him better.

I have been thinking about this a lot since I hurt my foot.  I have been reading more.  Talking more with friends.  Praying more.  Maybe this is a sign I need more time outs?  How about you?

Lord, thank you for knowing what is best for us. Please help us take a time out when we need it!

Simply Saturday
pa·tience
/ˈpāSHəns/
Noun
The capacity to accept or tolerate delay, trouble, or suffering without getting angry or upset.

I like the definitions I have found so far for the fruits of the Spirit in the Google dictionary.  It makes writing these entries so much easier!  Look at the definition of patience above.  It describes what the Bible describes as patience over and over.

I know I can tolerate delay, trouble or suffering, but I can't honestly say that I don't get angry or upset!  I really try to fulfill the entire definition.  I am human.  It is difficult.  That is why we need to rely on the Holy Spirit to grow these fruits in us.  How?  Prayer, time with God (see above), Bible study and serving others.  We can move past our silly human emotions and actions into a Godly mode of living!  Praise God!

***************************************
I pray the weight of my sins doth not crush me back to dust from where I came. I pray that God create in me a new, clean heart and place a right spirit within me. Restore to me the joy of my salvation. Praise the Almighty God from whom all blessings flow.

No comments:

Post a Comment