Sunday, August 18, 2013

Fashion statement

Our Daily Bread
I haven't been a fashion maven during my time here on earth.  I enjoy looking nice (or at least not bad), but I don't really care if I am not wearing the latest fashion looks.  I think it is part of being a bear and partly because I am frugal!  You won't usually see me make a big fashion statement!

I chuckled when I wrote the title of this blog entry: fashion statement.  I had never linked that term with the scriptures about "clothing yourself" in the likeness of Christ mentioned in Col 3:12.  How cool is that!  We are to clothe ourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience, then bind them all together with love!  Love is the necessary accessory for every outfit!  ha!

Lord, thank you for expressing your concepts in ways we can understand -- getting dressed.  Please help us dress ourselves appropriately each and every day!

Psalm Sunday
Let's look at Psalm 108.  I starts out as a wonderful praise psalm, the transitions that praise into what I call a war psalm.  David praises God for his military victories and for those to come.  I like verses 1-6 the best.

Psalm 108

A song. A psalm of David.

1 My heart, O God, is steadfast;
    I will sing and make music with all my soul.
2 Awake, harp and lyre!
    I will awaken the dawn.
3 I will praise you, Lord, among the nations;
    I will sing of you among the peoples.
4 For great is your love, higher than the heavens;
    your faithfulness reaches to the skies.
5 Be exalted, O God, above the heavens;
    let your glory be over all the earth.
6 Save us and help us with your right hand,
    that those you love may be delivered.
7 God has spoken from his sanctuary:
    “In triumph I will parcel out Shechem
    and measure off the Valley of Sukkoth.
8 Gilead is mine, Manasseh is mine;
    Ephraim is my helmet,
    Judah is my scepter.
9 Moab is my washbasin,
    on Edom I toss my sandal;
    over Philistia I shout in triumph.”
10 Who will bring me to the fortified city?
    Who will lead me to Edom?
11 Is it not you, God, you who have rejected us
    and no longer go out with our armies?
12 Give us aid against the enemy,
    for human help is worthless.
13 With God we will gain the victory,
    and he will trample down our enemies.

*****************************************
If we’re gonna pray about it
There’s no use in worrying
If we’re gonna worry about it
Why are we praying
Just leave it in the hands of the Father
Leave it in the hands of the Healer
Leave it in the hands of Jesus
And walk away
Walk away   -- Brandon Heath & Thad Cockrell

No comments:

Post a Comment