Saturday, February 22, 2014

I'll spot you

Our Daily Bread
I don't work out as much as I should.  I also have never really done any heavy weight lifting.  I noticed others at the gym and how that works.  One person lifts the heavy weight.  The other person "spots" the lifter or is there to help out if something happens like dropping the weight or having trouble lifting it.  The two usually switch with the lifter becoming the spotter and vice versa.  The spotter usually encourages the lifter as well.

The church is sort of like that.  We "spot" each other during the times that we lift heavy weights or burdens.  Most of us don't carry heavy loads all the time.  It is nice to have someone "spot" us when we do!  It is also nice to return the favor to another Christian friend.  "Spotting" and encouragement are just two of the reasons to be active in a church community.  Find one.  Be a part.

Lord, thank you for your plan for our churches.  Please help each of us do our parts!

Simply Saturday 
Control
I was complaining to someone at wok the other day about how frustrating it was to deal with things out of  my control at work.  "If I could just take over this project and do it the right way".  I often let my frustration boil over and say things in an unkind way.  Yikes

THEN, the Holy Spirit chimed in.  I often hate it when it does that...  It means I have something to learn that should have been obvious to me decades ago!  ha!  The Holy Spirit said "I know that is frustrating for you, Duane.  Why don't you start controlling the things you can control?"  It was so gentle yet so powerful.  "Like what?" I said pretending not to understand.

"Why don't you start with the way you say things sometimes?  Do you like being talked to that way?  And those eating habits?  Don't get me started?  Exercise?  Really?  Just a few times in the last few months?  You can do better than this with all the strength and power I give you!"  said the Holy Spirit.  I may have ad libbed some of the dialog to include the sting I felt when I heard the words!

The Holy Spirit followed up with the lessons we learned from last weekend: surrender and submit.  We identified a pattern that I need to follow and keep following:  Control -> Surrender ->  Submit -> Control -> Surrender ->  Submit -> Control -> Surrender ->  Submit -> .....

Control the things I can control to the best of my ability and with the strength and power of the Holy Spirit.  Find additional things in my life to surrender to the Lord.  Submit those things to God to refresh and renew my heart, mind and spirit.  Wow.  

Yes, God can even use our whining to lead us to him!

********************************
Now may the Lord of peace himself give you peace at all times and in every way. The Lord be with all of you. - 2 Thessalonians 3:16

No comments:

Post a Comment