Sunday, February 9, 2014

One body

Our Daily Bread
I hear it over and over again.  The reason someone doesn't go to church is because of the way people act at church.  The hypocrites make folks not want to attend.  When a new friend told me this yesterday I avoided going into "preaching" mode.  Instead I sent him this text later:
"I do believe in prayer and will be praying for you.  My life in God has not all been sunshine, rainbows and unicorns.  I know it is the best life for me.  I pray that you find what is best for you."

It is times like this when I truly wonder about God's plan for the church.  So many people see the church as a gathering place for saints.  Someone once said the church is better thought of as a hospital for the spiritually sick!  I know I have caused and experienced my share of church drama in the last 46 years.  We think we are doing the right thing when we say or do certain things.  We may be right and they might not be interpreted the right way or we may be horribly wrong causing hurt and discord.  Let's all take a look at ourselves. Do our actions really match up to the words that are coming out of our mouths?

Lord, you taught us that we need to experience you alone and in community.  Please help us pray and live for unity.

Psalm Sunday
Let's look at Psalm 130 this week.  I really like this one.  It seems more personal until the last verse.  I especially like the literary device to repeat a line in verse 6.  Very cool.  Can you hear yourself praying this prayer and changing the word "Israel" in verse 8 to your name?

We have another four weeks of songs of ascents after this week.

Psalm 130

A song of ascents.

1 Out of the depths I cry to you, Lord;
2     Lord, hear my voice.
Let your ears be attentive
    to my cry for mercy.
3 If you, Lord, kept a record of sins,
    Lord, who could stand?
4 But with you there is forgiveness,
    so that we can, with reverence, serve you.
5 I wait for the Lord, my whole being waits,
    and in his word I put my hope.
6 I wait for the Lord
    more than watchmen wait for the morning,
    more than watchmen wait for the morning.
7 Israel, put your hope in the Lord,
    for with the Lord is unfailing love
    and with him is full redemption.
8 He himself will redeem Israel
    from all their sins.

********************************
We can thank the Lord that through His grace and power, our past is forgiven, our present is changed, and our future is bright with hope for all He has prepared for us - Our Daily Bread, 10/13/13

No comments:

Post a Comment