Monday, February 10, 2014

Music speaks to us

Our Daily Bread
I remember the first time I joked about the power of music.  I saw a show where music calmed a raging beast in the wild.  The beast went from a wild animal to a calm animal in just a few minutes while listening to Mozart.  When some college friends were being rowdy, I played some similar music hoping it would work on my rowdy friends!  ha!

I have been sharing a psalm a week for the past 130 Sundays.  I feel the same way as the devotional writer.  The psalmist, whether it be David or someone else, did an incredible job of expressing raw human emotions during a wide variety of life events.  Whether it be extreme  highs or extreme lows, the psalms express those emotions.  They encourage me to express the wide range of my emotions to God even though he already knows everything about me.  What about you?  Why not try writing your own psalm this week and say/sing it to God?

Lord, you give us the ability and access to express our deepest thoughts, desires and feelings.  We thank you and praise you!

Movie Monday
I didn't make it to the movie theater this week, but I managed to find time to rent Dallas Buyers Club on Amazon Prime.

Dallas Buyers Club
I did not know about the buyers clubs during this period when drug companies and the folks infected with HIV were desperate to find a cure for the fatal disease.  While there is still no cure, we know now that there are drug cocktails that can reduce the virus to undetectable levels.  We also know that HIV/AIDS is not just a "gay disease".

With strong performances from the two lead characters, this film was moving and haunting to me.  Seeing on screen the prejudice and fear towards Matthew McConaughey's character, a straight man who contracted the virus from straight sex with a junkie (shared needles).  The physical changes and the attitude changes throughout the movie were incredible.

I give this movie three bear paws.  Definitely Oscar worthy performances and movie as a whole.  You can rent this online or see it in a few theaters that are still showing the Oscar nominees.

*************************************
I am far from perfect, but despite my mistakes and my sins, I will never abandon the Lord and he will never abandon me - adapted from a statement about Abraham from the EfM Training Guide

No comments:

Post a Comment