Thursday, February 13, 2014

Man in the Mirror

Our Daily Bread

The Michael Jackson song Man in the Mirror took on a religious overtone for me.  It is so easy to sit back and judge others.  I think that is the main reason I don't like reality TV -- it helps us practice judging others over and over!  

What do we really see when we look at the person in the mirror?  Do we see Sardis presenting a good appearance outwardly and have malice in our hearts.  Or do we present the truth?  What are the truths about ourselves?  Find a way to pray about this whether it is a simple prayer from your heart or an organized prayer from the Daily Office through the Episcopal Church.  Prayer not only changes others.  It changes us.

I know I am not the man that I think I am.  Today's devotional was a personal message to me as God has been talking to me about this for a few weeks now.  Whew...

Lord, please teach us to look at ourselves realistically and honestly.  

Technology Thursday

New receiver
If you have ever been to my house, one thing is obvious -- I like gadgets and electronics!  I don't buy the top of the line stuff.  I am too cheap for that.  I usually buy middle of the road components that are good enough for my purposes and tastes.  One of the reasons NOT to buy the top of the line stuff is that things change.  When I bought my Sony A/V receiver several years ago, I only needed two HDMI inputs -- one for my DVD player and one for my cable box.  As time went on, there is a need for at least four as I added a Roku device and a gaming system!  I am not sure I will spend the money this year or not, but here is a potential candidate to replace my Sony receiver.

Onkyo TX-NR626 7.2-Channel Network Audio/Video Receiver 
This Onkyo receiver. which costs $499 on amazon.com, is my top candidate.  It has lots of connectivity options.  Lots of power.  Low distortion rate.  Great reviews on several web sites.  It is a little more than I wanted to spend, however, I think it will last me a long time.  I am not sure I need all of this, but it is a nice thought!
  • 95 Watts per Channel (8 Ohms, 20 Hz 20 kHz, 0.08% THD, 2 Channels Driven); 115 Watts per Channel (6 Ohms, 1 kHz, 0.7% THD, 2 Channels Driven)
  • 6 HDMI Inputs and 2 Outputs with Audio Return Channel
  • Built-In Wi-Fi-Certified Wireless LAN Capability
  • Onboard Bluetooth Audio Streaming Technology
  • Powered Zone 2 and Zone 2 Line-Out for Distributed Audio Playback in Another Room

********************************
Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God - William Carey

No comments:

Post a Comment