Sunday, February 2, 2014

Our lighthouse

Our Daily Bread
There is a traditional folk hymn called The Lighthouse.  I think I first heard it sung by the Bill Gaither Family many years ago.  Check out the lyrics here.  We all know what a lighthouse is. don't we?

The Holy Spirit can be many things to us.  One of which is a lighthouse when we seem to be tossed and battered by life's storms.  Praise God!  We also know that the Holy Spirit can help us discern truth when we face life's easy and difficult questions.  I said easy questions too because we often try to handle too many things on our own and get it wrong!  I know I have!

What about you?  Are you being tossed and battered by life's storms?  Seek comfort and guidance from the Holy Spirit.  All you have to do is ask!

Lord, we thank you and praise you for sending your Holy Spirit to us.  Please help us seek the Holy Spirit every day!

Psalm Sunday
We are almost done with the songs of ascents.  Psalm 129 is another one that we may not understand in today's language and culture, but we can still get some meaning out of.  I love verse 2.  Check that one out!

Psalm 129

A song of ascents.

1 “They have greatly oppressed me from my youth,”
    let Israel say;
2 “they have greatly oppressed me from my youth,
    but they have not gained the victory over me.
3 Plowmen have plowed my back
    and made their furrows long.
4 But the Lord is righteous;
    he has cut me free from the cords of the wicked.”
5 May all who hate Zion
    be turned back in shame.
6 May they be like grass on the roof,
    which withers before it can grow;
7 a reaper cannot fill his hands with it,
    nor one who gathers fill his arms.
8 May those who pass by not say to them,
    “The blessing of the Lord be on you;
    we bless you in the name of the Lord.”

**********************************
I pray the weight of my sins doth not crush me back to dust from where I came. I pray that God create in me a new, clean heart and place a right spirit within me. Restore to me the joy of my salvation. Praise the Almighty God from whom all blessings flow.

No comments:

Post a Comment