Tuesday, February 4, 2014

No power over me

Our Daily Bread
I laugh when some friends want to go to the restaurant called Hooters.  Pretty girls in tight clothes are the servers.  They can be known to be a little flirty and usually end up getting a bigger tip for it.  When one of them started flirting with me, I chuckled and said 'you have no power over me'.  hahaha!

As we grow in the Lord, we find that the trials and tribulations of this life have less and less power over us.  We can look those trials in the face and say "you have no power over me!"  Praise God!  Let us remember that each time we face some new challenge (or opportunity for faith).  Power is ours through the Holy Spirit!

Lord, we thank you and praise you for all you give us including power over circumstances!

Teaching Tuesday
1 and 2 Peter
We studied 1 and 2 Peter this week.  I didn't realize that both books were NOT attributed to the apostle Peter!  2 Peter is anonymous.  Apparently, it had so much good stuff in it that the book became part of the canon (official Bible).

There are some main themes running through both books like the importance of the community of the church and the  seriousness of backsliding (or falling away from the Lord).  I liked the sections where it talked about the church a lot.  The seriousness of backsliding and the language around it was scary to me.  I know those passages have caused much dissension in the church over the centuries about the security of salvation.

There are also several odd passages like when Jesus was compared to the mysterious priest to Abraham called Melchizedek.  It made a good point that Jesus is the ultimate high priest.

Read through the books sometime.  There is some good stuff.  There is some odd stuff IMHO.

********************************
Now may the Lord of peace himself give you peace at all times and in every way. The Lord be with all of you. - 2 Thessalonians 3:16

No comments:

Post a Comment