Saturday, October 19, 2013

Always

Our Daily Bread
"And Iiiiieeeiiiii will alllwayyyysss love you...." is from a song first made popular by Dolly Parton.  Whitney Houston sang it again decades later and touched the hearts of millions.  What a song!

I may sound a little crazy at times, but I feel this song in my head and heart when I am in tune with the Holy Spirit.  Do you know the times I am talking about?  The times that you want to trust God even though you have no idea how he is going to work things out.  All you know is that you need to keep doing the things that He told you to do....and trust.  We don't always understand, or need to understand, what is going on.  We just need to trust the God who loves us so very much.  I love this quote from the devotional:
 “The highest pinnacle of the spiritual life is not happy joy in unbroken sunshine, but absolute and undoubting trust in the love of God.” = A. W. Thorold

Lord, thank you for loving us always.  Please help us always trust.

Simply Saturday
Temperance
1. moderation or self-restraint in action, statement, etc.; self-control.
2. habitual moderation in the indulgence of a natural appetite or passion, especially in the use of alcoholic liquors.
3. total abstinence from alcoholic liquors.

I like the definitions of temperance I found on dictionary.reference.com.  Most of the other online dictionaries only mentioned abstinence from alcohol.  I think the definitions above captures more of what the Biblical writers were talking about.  "Self-control" is how some translations list this fruit of the Holy Spirit due to the narrow scope of the definition in the English language.

I really like the second definition: "habitual moderation in the indulgence of a natural appetite or passion".  Wow!  I will think about this a lot because "habitual moderation" is probably my worst struggle!

Let's pray for each other to open our hearts and minds to the Holy Spirit so we can live the way that is best for us -- the way God intended!

********************************************
Trusting God’s faithfulness dispels our fearfulness. - Our Daily Bread web site

No comments:

Post a Comment