Sunday, October 20, 2013

Not again...

Our Daily Bread
While reading the Old Testament a couple of times over the past few years, I keep saying the same phrase over and over again as I read about the ancient nation of Israel -- "Not again..."  OMG!  Will these people EVER learn?  ha!

Then the Holy Spirit gently opens my eyes.  I can hear God saying the same thing each time I repeat my pet sins.  I think I am trying to live my life for Christ, but I keep letting myself slip back into old habits.  Does this sound familiar?  Old habits.  Old Testament.  Hmmmmm...  Yeah, it is called human nature.  God has taught me to forgive myself, though I still need to work on that some more.  I also need to remember that self-discipline is like a muscle -- it takes exercise and training to develop it!  A runner doesn't start their career by running a marathon.  It takes practice and training and a proper diet.  For the Christian, the proper practice of prayer and self-discipline, the training of practicing God's love in action and a proper diet of Bible study give us the endurance we need to run this race!  Praise God!

Lord, please help avoid "Not again" moments.  Please forgive us when we have them.

Psalm Sunday
Let's look at Psalm 116 this week.  Haven't we all felt this way at one time or another in our lives?  We know that we can call on the Lord during our times of distress.  He is there to care for the righteous, or as I say, the folks who are doing their best to be righteous!  Praise God!

Psalm 116

1 I love the Lord, for he heard my voice;
    he heard my cry for mercy.
2 Because he turned his ear to me,
    I will call on him as long as I live.
3 The cords of death entangled me,
    the anguish of the grave came over me;
    I was overcome by distress and sorrow.
4 Then I called on the name of the Lord:
    “Lord, save me!”
5 The Lord is gracious and righteous;
    our God is full of compassion.
6 The Lord protects the unwary;
    when I was brought low, he saved me.
7 Return to your rest, my soul,
    for the Lord has been good to you.
8 For you, Lord, have delivered me from death,
    my eyes from tears,
    my feet from stumbling,
9 that I may walk before the Lord
    in the land of the living.
10 I trusted in the Lord when I said,
    “I am greatly afflicted”;
11 in my alarm I said,
    “Everyone is a liar.”
12 What shall I return to the Lord
    for all his goodness to me?
13 I will lift up the cup of salvation
    and call on the name of the Lord.
14 I will fulfill my vows to the Lord
    in the presence of all his people.
15 Precious in the sight of the Lord
    is the death of his faithful servants.
16 Truly I am your servant, Lord;
    I serve you just as my mother did;
    you have freed me from my chains.
17 I will sacrifice a thank offering to you
    and call on the name of the Lord.
18 I will fulfill my vows to the Lord
    in the presence of all his people,
19 in the courts of the house of the Lord—
    in your midst, Jerusalem.
Praise the Lord.


********************************************
 “The highest pinnacle of the spiritual life is not happy joy in unbroken sunshine, but absolute and undoubting trust in the love of God.” = A. W. Thorold

No comments:

Post a Comment