Friday, October 4, 2013

Nothing is impossible

Our Daily Bread
To Dream the Impossible Dream is one of my favorite songs.  While listening to this song, I thought "Yeah, this song is too 'out there'.  The character is obviously a little crazy!"  If you are familiar with the Broadway show Man of La Mancha, you will know he was sort of crazy with all of that windmill chasing!

We all have situations in our lives that seem impossible at times.  Like the song says, we sometimes feel our arms are too weary to reach to heaven one more time in prayer as we lift the situations to God.  Weary, I say, weary!  That is the best word to describe it!

The devotional hit me right between the eyes today.  There is at least one impossible situation in my life.  God told me that he would work and the restoration would occur.  I have not been patient.  I have been listening to folks who say I am chasing windmills and that it will never ever happen.  It is not healthy to think on these impossible things.  After reading the reminder God sent me today, I know I need to have faith.  I need to practice love so I know how to act when the restoration happens.  I need to trust and be patient.  We all do!

Lord, thank you for your gentle reminders of your faithfulness and love.  Please help us have faith and trust.  I love you, I trust you, I thank you, I praise you....

Foodie Friday
I am sure you don't get yourself into the same predicaments that I do.  At least I hope not!  I was trying to use up stuff in my fridge before going on vacation and found two pie crusts.  I couldn't refreeze them so I searched for pie dough recipes that didn't require making a pie.  ha!  Here are two good ones I found that I made.  They are both very tasty!

Piggies (Sugar and Cinnamon Pie Dough Cookies)'
INGREDIENTS:
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup shortening
2 tablespoons warm water, or as needed

1 tablespoon shortening
1/4 cup white sugar
ground cinnamon

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray, or line with parchment paper.
2. Mix flour and salt together in a bowl, and use a pastry cutter to cut in 1/3 cup of shortening until the mixture forms pea-size balls. With a fork, form a small well in the center of the mixture, and pour in water, a couple of teaspoons at a time, and stir with the fork to mix in the water and form a dough. Incorporate each addition of water before adding the next, until about 3/4 of the flour mixture has formed a stiff dough. Work a little more water in with your hands, and shape the dough into a ball.
3. Working on a well-floured work surface with a floured rolling pin, roll the dough out into a rectangle about 12 by 16 inches, and about 1/8-inch thick. Spread 1 tablespoon of shortening over the surface of the dough with a soft spatula, and sprinkle sugar all over the dough square. Sprinkle the dough with cinnamon. Pick up a long edge of dough, and tightly roll the dough into a log shape. With a sharp knife, slice the log into 3/4-inch thick slices. Place the slices onto the prepared baking sheet.
4. Bake in the preheated oven until the cookies are lightly browned and sizzling on the bottom, about 8 minutes. Cool on paper towels; freeze extras for later.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2013 Allrecipes.com Printed from Allrecipes.com 10/4/2013

prep time 10 min total time 25 min ingredients 6 servings 10

Ingredients
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 box Pillsbury® refrigerated pie crusts, softened as directed on box
1/3 cup hot fudge sundae syrup
1/3 cup caramel sundae syrup
1/2 cup chopped nuts

Steps
1 Heat oven to 350°F. Spray cookie sheet with cooking spray.
2 In sandwich-size food-storage plastic bag, mix sugar and cinnamon.
3 Unroll 1 pie crust on cutting board. Cut into 3-inch-wide strips; cut strips into triangles that look like nacho chips. Add a few triangles at a time to bag with sugar-cinnamon. With fingers, toss triangles in bag to coat well. Place triangles in single layer on cookie sheet. Repeat with second pie crust and remaining sugar-cinnamon.
4 Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until chips are golden brown and slightly crisp. Meanwhile, in 2 separate microwavable bowls, microwave sundae syrups on High 5 to 10 seconds or until warm enough to drizzle.
5 Immediately remove pie crust chips from cookie sheet to large plate. Drizzle with both sundae syrups; sprinkle with nuts. Serve immediately.

Marshmallow, chocolate chips, fruit and coconut are just a few other delicious toppings that work with this recipe. Vanilla or chocolate ice cream is a great topping, too.

********************************************
Now may the Lord of peace himself give you peace at all times and in every way. The Lord be with all of you. - 2 Thessalonians 3:16

No comments:

Post a Comment