Monday, October 14, 2013

Good soil

Our Daily Bread
A few blocks from my house is a community garden.  I never noticed it before last year as I don't often walk or drive by that small patch of ground.  After seeing that and with some encouragement from some friends, I tried growing a small garden in some large planters I have at home.  I didn't have much success.  ;-(

My grandparents had a small farm when I was growing up.  My family had a few gardens in our history.  I understood the parable of Jesus talking about the seeds and soil very early in life.  We had good soil in some of our gardens.  We also had not so good soil.  It is amazing to me how plants can grow and thrive in good soil!  Large tomatoes and cucumbers.  Beautiful golden corn and large potatoes.  What a blessing!

I loved the way the devotional asked the question: What kind of soil are we?  Let us all pray to be the good soil that the fruits of the Holy Spirit can take root and grow!

Lord, thank you for being the great gardener who wants to plant the fruits of the Holy Spirit in us if we are willing to be good soil!  Praise God!

Movie Monday
I got to see two movies last week: Gravity and Machete Kills

Gravity
The plot for this movie is one that is terrifying to me: getting stranded in space with little or no hope of surviving.  Sandra Bullock plays a scientist and George Clooney plays a career astronaut in orbit in  one of the space shuttles performing maintenance on the Hubble telescope.  While outside the shuttle, a huge debris storm detaches them from the shuttle sending them out in space.  The rest of the movie is the two of them trying to survive.  I saw this in 2D.  I am not sure I could have handled it in 3D!  The coolest part for me was having seen the space shuttle Atlantis the day before at the Kennedy Space Center.  We learned a lot about shuttle missions, the ISS and the Hubble!

I give this movie two bear paws.  It was OK.  See it at the theater if you want the experience of wide open space or the 3D option.

Machete Kills
Oh, boy...  What can I saw about this movie?  If you liked the first Machete movie by Robert Rodriguez, you may or may not like the second one.  I just took it for what it was and laughed my butt off at the outrageous stuff in the movie.  If you take it too seriously, like expecting new angles or stuff, you will be disappointed.  There is lots of blood and guts and ridiculous action.  That is part of the fun of a Machete movie.

I give this movie one bear paw.  See it if you are a fan.  Oh, and remember that Danny Trejo will be 70 years old next year!  Wow!

*******************************************
I pray the weight of my sins doth not crush me back to dust from where I came. I pray that God create in me a new, clean heart and place a right spirit within me. Restore to me the joy of my salvation. Praise the Almighty God from whom all blessings flow.

No comments:

Post a Comment