Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Could have had

Our Daily Bread
I thought of another silly commercial while reading the devotional today.  I am sure you have seen the V8 commercials when someone slaps their head and exclaims "I could have had a V8!" to get their servings of veggies for the day.  Sort of silly, but a nice reminder!

I feel like I need to slap my head most days and say "I could have had more faith!" or "I am a beloved child of God.  I could have lived that way today!"  Yes, we often let time slip by or circumstances govern our state of mind instead of letting God rule our lives.  Some days, we may sound like the droning flight attendant while we read our scripture passages or say our prayers.  Instead of standing amazed in the presence of God, we act like we are at a theater watching a boring B movie (this metaphor spoke to me personally!).  Let us all stand amazed in the presence today.  Yes, today, I say!

Lord, thank you for letting stand in your presence in prayer and Bible study.  Please help us always be amazed and full of praise!

Teaching Tuesday
Theological Reflection
The main concept of the EFM (Education for Ministry) class is a process called theological reflection.  Our reading this week was a review of the methodology.  I  was familiar with it already because I learned about it in year one ( I am in year two now).  What I didn't understand completely last year was that I could use some of the same techniques in my personal Bible study (outside the group).

In short, you find a statement that you want to reflect on, like a Bible verse or saying or theme from your life or readings.  In no specific order, think about what culture says, what society says, what tradition says and what we think scriptures say about this theme.  At the end of the reflection, create an "I believe" saying that sums up what you learned.  Here is a PDF describing the process better than I can.  Check it out.

*********************************
Excavating your heart will unearth the beautiful things God has planted in you. - R. Howerton

No comments:

Post a Comment