Friday, December 13, 2013

Let the Games begin

Our Daily Bread
I plan to live out a "bucket list" item next year -- I registered for the Gay Games that are being held in Cleveland/Akron, Ohio, not far from my home.  Woohoooo!  I have read about this event for years.  It is obviously the closest it has ever been to my home.  The even was held in Chicago several years ago, which was the second closest to where I live.  I am trying to lose some weight and prepare for my meager attempts at the bowling and tennis events.  We will see how it goes in August 2014!

As Christians, we need the discipline of an elite athlete!  Not so much for our physical bodies, though they are important, but for our spiritual development.  Consistent Bible study, learning from coaches (teachers and preachers), prayer, and practicing the things we learned from all of these in our daily lives.  Even Paul uses the imagery of us "running a race" to describe the Christian life.  Of course, this silly old bear chuckles and says "Run Forrest Run!"  ha!  Instead, I will say "Run Duane Run!"  Our Lord and Savior is at the finish line!  Praise God!

Lord, we thank you and praise you for giving us strength and guidance to run the race of this life...for you!

Foodie Friday
Supper last night
I am not a celebrity chef or anything, but I had a nice dinner last night at home!  I found some boneless ribs on sale earlier in the week.   I rubbed them with sea salt, fresh pepper, garlic powder and onion powder, then baked them in the oven at 350 degrees for 60 minutes.  I turned them at about 30 minutes.  I drained them and smothered them in Montgomery Inn BBQ sauce for the last few minutes.  Mmmmmm!  I might eat an old shoe if it had Montgomery Inn sauce on it!  ha!

I also roasted some fingerling and red potatoes.  I washed them thoroughly, then placed them in a glass dish sprayed with buttery Pam. Don't dry them.  I sprinkled the same four spices on the potatoes that I used for the ribs.  I roasted them for about an hour, then smothered them with butter!  Wow!  I love the earthy taste of fingerling potatoes and the meaty taste of the red potatoes.  You can buy these together in one bag at Meijer in the produce section.

I am thinking of roasting some veggies or potatoes or something for my dinner group this week.  I will look up some recipes during the snowy Saturday tomorrow!

**********************************
We can thank the Lord that through His grace and power, our past is forgiven, our present is changed, and our future is bright with hope for all He has prepared for us - Our Daily Bread, 10/13/13

No comments:

Post a Comment