Sunday, December 29, 2013

Mentoring

Our Daily Bread
I have been a mentor in the business or technology world a few times in my career.  It is fun to meet with young people and help guide their careers.  I have also been fortunate to sit on a technology council that helped guide the computer science programs of some small colleges, helping guide them in what businesses are really looking for.

It appears that my calling at this point in my life is helping others in their spiritual lives.  To me this is much trickier and a lot more responsibility.  While I have had more experience in my spiritual life than in my business career, I feel inadequate at best.  So often we feel that we have to be perfect to be a leader or a mentor or a teacher.  No, folks, the Old Testament examples should prove that theory incorrect!  ha!  God just needs us to be humble and willing.  It would be an honor to write something like 3 John before I leave this world where I admonish those that I helped along their spiritual journey!

I also feel like I learn more from the folks I am teaching that what I am teaching them!

Lord, please help us be humble and willing to follow the path you have for us!

Psalm Sunday
Psalm 124 is another song of ascents.  I really like this one as it makes the reader (or chanter) think about what their life would be like without the Almighty God by their side!  We should read it and think about the same thing!

Psalm 124

A song of ascents. Of David.

1 If the Lord had not been on our side—
    let Israel say—
2 if the Lord had not been on our side
    when people attacked us,
3 they would have swallowed us alive
    when their anger flared against us;
4 the flood would have engulfed us,
    the torrent would have swept over us,
5 the raging waters
    would have swept us away.
6 Praise be to the Lord,
    who has not let us be torn by their teeth.
7 We have escaped like a bird
    from the fowler’s snare;
the snare has been broken,
    and we have escaped.
8 Our help is in the name of the Lord,
    the Maker of heaven and earth.

***********************************
You cannot say you've forgiven someone if in your heart you hope they are still suffering. Howerton

No comments:

Post a Comment