Friday, January 3, 2014

On my own....NOT!

Our Daily Bread
In the Broadway musical Le Miserable, there is a gorgeous, but sad song called On my own. Check out the lyrics here.Poor Epoline pours her heart out about being alone because the man she loves doesn't feel the same about her.  In the movie version, it is dark and rainy when she sings it.

Praise God that we don't have to sing a song like that about our God!  We are not alone.  We are not on our own.  Our God will give us more love that our hearts can hold.  Our world revolves around him for good reason -- He is the one true, Almighty God!  Whether it is the beginning of a new year or the middle or the end, let us always remember who we are in the sight of God.  We are not on our own!

Thank you, God, for being with us each and every moment.  Please help us to do what is right, to be merciful, and to walk humbly with you!

Foodie Friday
I am hosting a potluck tomorrow night.  It will be a late NYE party theme.  Due to a couple of other things going on this weekend, I decided to buy the entrees rather than make them from scratch.  Grrrrrr...  I don't usually like doing this, but I have served these entrees before with success.

The first one is a no-brainer: Honey Baked Ham.  MmmmMmmmm!  I love this ham!  It is pricey, but worth it in my mind.

The second one is the stuffed cabbage rolls from GFS (Gordon Food Service).  I saw these on sale last year and bought a tray.  When I baked them up for a get together, I wondered how they would taste.  They taste great!  Wow!  There are ten large rolls in a tray.  They usually cost $12.99, but I caught them on sale for $9.99.  Woohooo!  I usually cut them in half because they are sort of large.

I am not serving it tomorrow night, but I also like the Stouffers frozen lasagna.  It is about as good as you can get out of a frozen lasagna.  Very tasty sauce.  Just enough meat.  It is a good bet when you can't cook your own from scratch!

*********************************************
CELEBRATE CALM

I refuse to give you power over my attitude and mood.
I refuse to allow you to dictate my response to you.
I refuse to give you the power to change my behavior.
I refuse to allow you to steal my peace and joy.

You can be mean. I will be kind.
You can hurt me. I will forgive you (but not trust you!).
You can be a jerk. I will have mercy.
You can be bitter. I will be grateful that I don't have to live with that poison in my soul.

I cannot tell you what you are going to do.
But I can tell you what I am going to do.

This is self-control. This is humility. This is dignity.

No comments:

Post a Comment