Monday, May 23, 2011

Be dependent...

Our Daily Bread
Being dependent has always had a negative connotation to me.  I guess it is a personality flaw.  ;-(  I don't like being dependent on others, but I don't mind others being dependent on me -- to a point.  I guess I need to think and pray about that some more.

I have been praying about this since my D2 class covered some of these topics.  We talked about the difference between being independent using our skills and talents, and being dependent on God's strength to energize our own skills and talents.  I know God gave me lots of abilities.  Doesn't he want me to use them? 

This is where a recent study opened my mind to my life being inside God, flowing along with him as my power source.  Yes, a fish out of water can last for a short while, but a fish is meant to be in the flow of the water that sustains life.  That is how I see God now.  I am a big fish in the ocean of his love and grace.  That is where I need to stay to sustain my life.  ;-)

Lord, thank you for the vast ocean of your love and grace.

Movie Monday
I saw a few movies this week:  Your Highness, Pirates of the Caribbean and Bridesmaids.  All three had their virtues and downfalls.

Your Highness
I am glad I saw this one at the dollar theater.  ;-)  It was mindless fun, but not much fun really.  The cast members were wasted on a mindless script.  I mean, Natalie Portman, what were you thinking in making this movie!?!  There were some very funny moments, but they were few and far between.

I give this movie one bear paw.  Do not pay more than a $1 to see this movie!  hehehe

Pirates of the Caribbean: On stranger tides
I liked the story line of this movie.  Lots of familiar faces.  Some new faces.  Some inplausible escape scenes by Captain Jack Sparrow.  Some great special effects.  I saw the 3D version, which was a little disappointing to me.  I expected better 3D effects from a Disney movie.  Oh well.

I give the movie three bear paws.  See it on the big screen.  Not sure if you should pay extra for the 3D version.

Bridesmaids
OK, my buddy and I were the only guys at this showing.  That should tell you a lot.  One lady told me afterwards how much she appreciated my laugh.  This movie was filled with odd moments, strange behavior, big laughs, a few "awwww that is sweet" moments and major chick-flick moments!  Did I mention that my my buddy and I were the only guys at this showing?  hehehe  I have to admit that the movie surprised me with the sweetness of the love story woven throughout the movie and the uniqueness of the characters.  One of my favorite scenes is when the chunky bridesmaid slaps the maid of honor back to her senses...  Very cool.  You will laugh.  You might cry.  You will definitely feel uncomfortable in some scenes (like the opening scene).

I give this movie two bear paws.  No need to see it on the big screen.

Other Stuff
I am getting ready for my cookout on Sunday.  I promised myself that I would not stress out about it too much.  ;-p  It will be fine.  I learned that I shouldn't make events like this my motivators to get stuff done around the house.  It is way too stressful!  Oh well.

I am also making or buying cookies for the church play this week.  I just had an idea that I might get the mini brownies at Costco instead of baking.  Hmmmmm. 

I was reminded of some things weekend -- like how I need to keep my end of the bargain when it comes to God's will.  Stay focused.  Get and keep my house in order.  Listen and obey.  I can and will do this to the best of my ability.

Hang in there, my friends!  I will be upbeat and steady.  That is what I do...

No comments:

Post a Comment