Sunday, May 29, 2011

What am I supposed to do?

Our Daily Bread
I don't know about you, but there have been several times in my life that I have asked God (or ashamedly demanded from God) "What I am supposed to do?"  It is an honest and sincere question when asked in the right spirit!  hehehe

To build on "the big two": love God with all your being and love others as yourself, God gave some other things to strive for in our lives in him.  The scripture is in today's devotional.  I have a LOOOOOOONNNNGGGG way to go before I come close to achieving any of them.  Here is the passage I like from 2 Peter 2:5-8:

5 For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; 6 and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; 7 and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. 8 For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Wow!  I follow this up with this passage from Philippians 4:8:

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

Thinking and acting with the mind and heart of Christ.  What a "no ordinary life" that would be.

Lord, I want to love and act like your Son.



Psalm Sunday
Psalm 11 inspired one of my favorite hymns: Flee like a bird.  It is a beautiful and haunting and confusing hymn!  I never understood the reference until I found Psalm 11.  Here are the the lyrics and Psalm 11.


Flee As a Bird
Words and music: Mary S. Shindler (1842)

Lyrics:
Flee as a bird to your mountain, thou who art weary of sin
Go to the clear flowing fountain where you may wash and be clean
Fly for the avenger is near thee; call, and the Savior will hear thee
He on His bosom will bear thee; O thou who art weary of sin
O thou who art weary of sin

He will protect thee forever, wipe every falling tear
He will forsake thee, O never, sheltered so tenderly there
Haste, then, the hours are flying, spend not the moments in sighing
Cease from your sorrow and crying: The Savior will wipe every tear
The Savior will wipe every tear





Psalm 11:

1 In the LORD I take refuge.
   How then can you say to me:
   “Flee like a bird to your mountain.
2 For look, the wicked bend their bows;
   they set their arrows against the strings
to shoot from the shadows
   at the upright in heart.
3 When the foundations are being destroyed,
   what can the righteous do?”

 4 The LORD is in his holy temple;
   the LORD is on his heavenly throne.
He observes everyone on earth;
   his eyes examine them.
5 The LORD examines the righteous,
   but the wicked, those who love violence,
   he hates with a passion.
6 On the wicked he will rain
   fiery coals and burning sulfur;
   a scorching wind will be their lot.

 7 For the LORD is righteous,
   he loves justice;
   the upright will see his face.


Other Stuff
I had a busy weekend so far getting the house ready for my cookout.  It is not a big deal, but I had a lot of stuff that I wanted or had to do before the gang came over this afternoon.  I am amazed at my Weber grill.  I didn't use it at all last year.  It cleaned up very nicely and lit the first time!  Wow!  This thing is 11 years old!  I even opened up the patio furniture in case we wanted to sit outside in the hot weather.  I plan to stay indoors in the air conditioning!  We had another winter to summer year with the weather.  I guess I could count the three months of rain as spring.  Uggh!

My mother is staying with me for a few days.  She should be arriving any moment.  We will probably do a little shopping and go to a movie tomorrow.  There shouldn't be much clean up needed from the cookout.  Mainly just carrying stuff back down to the basement.

We had a nice service at church this morning.  ;-)

I thought more about quiet, confident joy this morning while driving to church.  It is a wonderful thing to have.

Hang in there, my friends!  I will be upbeat and steady.  That is what I do...

No comments:

Post a Comment