Friday, May 27, 2011

Panting... Seriously?

Our Daily Bread
I have been a Christian since I was eight years old.  I am sort of ashamed to say that I have never "panted" for the Word of God.  As I understand it, we should pant for the Word of God like we do for a glass of water on a very hot, thirsty day!  Wow!

For me, I think of the Bible as more of an energy drink or Gatorade.  I run low on essential bodily nutrients (or spiritual nutrients) until I can hardly function, then I drink the Bible like Gatorade.  It is not the same.  The panting builds you up from where you are.  The replacement drink pulls you back up from being down. 

My prayer for each of us is that we pant for God's Word.  We take one step forward, another step forward, etc, instead of one step forward and then two steps back! 

Lord, thank you for being our living Water and eternal life!

Foodie Friday
Here is the baked bean recipe that I plan to make for my cookout on Sunday:


Baked Beans

1 can pork and beans
1 can dark red kidney beans
1 can light red kidney beans
1 can black beans
1/4 cup catsup
1/4 cup yellow mustard
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup BBQ sauce
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 cup dried onions (or use 1/2 cup fresh chopped onion)
1/4 cup bacon bits (real bacon preferred.  Omit this ingredient if you don't want to use bacon)

Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl.  Mix well.  Pour into a prepared glass baking dish (I usually spray the dish with Pam spray).  Bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes or until bubbly.  Let sit for a few minutes before serving.

You can also leave out the bacon bits and use strips of bacon on top for decoration.

You can make this a vegan recipe by using vegetarian beans instead of pork and beans and skipping the bacon.

Other Stuff
I went to see the movie Kung Fu Panda 2 last night after work, then did a few things around the house.  I am trying to relax about the cookout on Sunday.  I should go home after work and do stuff around the house.  My current strategy is to drink margaritas and sober up at the movies....  hehehe  I will figure something out.

I had a good session with my counselor last night.  Please let it be known that old dogs (or bears) can be taught new tricks.  Praise God!

Hang in there, my friends!  I will be upbeat and steady.  That is what I do...

No comments:

Post a Comment