Sunday, November 13, 2011

Suffering for good...

Our Daily Bread
How many times in our lives have we been punished for doing something bad?  I don't know about you, but I was a spoiled, ornery boy!  hehehe  Getting punished or suffering for doing something bad makes sense to the human mind.  Suffering for doing good doesn't!

Have there been times in your life that people made fun of you for doing something good?  Did you stand up for someone who was being mistreated?  Did you hang out with an unpopular person?  Did you give your time away to be a servant instead of spending time with your friends and get teased for it?  Or, the one we read about in the Bible where the saints were jailed or beaten for proclaiming Christ!

I had some friends who sort of ostracized me because I stood up for someone they didn't like.  I told them I couldn't be around folks that treated people that way.  It was not fair.  It was undeserved.  No one should be treated that way.  They eventually figured out that I was right and respected me for my stand.  It was not easy!

Lord, thank you for giving us the strength to stand up for you.  Please help us do it more often!

Psalm Sunday
Very cool psalm this week.  It is what I call a "typical" psalm.  David is "up" in his personal like so he wrote more about how God is with him and how God works.  Here are a few of my favorite verses:
v1: "you lifted me out of the depths"
v5 "his anger lasts only a moment, but his favor lasts a lifetime"
v6 "I will never be shaken"
v11 "you turned my walking into dancing"


Psalm 30

    A psalm. A song. For the dedication of the temple.[b] Of David.
 1 I will exalt you, LORD,
   for you lifted me out of the depths
   and did not let my enemies gloat over me.
2 LORD my God, I called to you for help,
   and you healed me.
3 You, LORD, brought me up from the realm of the dead;
   you spared me from going down to the pit.

 4 Sing the praises of the LORD, you his faithful people;
   praise his holy name.
5 For his anger lasts only a moment,
   but his favor lasts a lifetime;
weeping may stay for the night,
   but rejoicing comes in the morning.

 6 When I felt secure, I said,
   “I will never be shaken.”
7 LORD, when you favored me,
   you made my royal mountain[c] stand firm;
but when you hid your face,
   I was dismayed.

 8 To you, LORD, I called;
   to the Lord I cried for mercy:
9 “What is gained if I am silenced,
   if I go down to the pit?
Will the dust praise you?
   Will it proclaim your faithfulness?
10 Hear, LORD, and be merciful to me;
   LORD, be my help.”

 11 You turned my wailing into dancing;
   you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy,
12 that my heart may sing your praises and not be silent.
   LORD my God, I will praise you forever.


Other Stuff
I had a nice Saturday, though I spent it all alone.  I did some stuff around the house first thing and then went to the movies to see Immortal.  I will review that tomorrow.  I came come to have lunch.  I watched the progression of the Ohio State game on the computer while I was reading my D1 readings.  We had to read almost two full books of the Old Testament this week.  It was very cool, but it took me all afternoon and part of the evening.  I took a break to make some meatloaf for supper and watch a DVD.  Vin Diesel was so hot in XXX!

I have church this morning and mens chorus tonight.  Not sure what I will do this afternoon.  I am thinking exercise!  I gained a few pounds back since Wednesday by eating too much, especially Friday night.  Yikes!  I will NEVER fit into my sport coat at this rate!  hehehe  I will do better this week.

Let go, my friends!  God will catch you and hold you in His loving arms...

No comments:

Post a Comment