Monday, August 20, 2012

Behind the scenes...

Our Daily Bread
I am blessed to have a walking buddy that has become a close friend over the past few years.  We talk about everything in our lives.  The funniest part is that we keep forgetting her husband doesn't have a clue as to what we are talking about when we joke about stuff!  One day, we both realized that I had been holding out on her when it came to my giving.  She suggested that I do something more for someone.  I gave her a disgusted look and explained all I had done that week.  After she apologized and said "I didn't know".  I meekly said "I don't tell you all the things I do for other people because I don't need to flaunt it!"

The devotional is about having that kind of attitude -- doing things for others because of our love for God.  Jesus changed the way people looked at life in those days.  The attitude of the time was the folks who were right with God experienced prosperity and a lofty place in society.  Wow!  The funny thing is that some folks still think that today!  God calls each of us to serve and live in different ways.  We are all part of one body and serve in our own special capacity!

I learned something from the devotional.  I had some feelings this summer that my actions were not appreciated.  The devotional reminded me that I was supposed to be doing all of those things for God.  I do not need the accolades of folks.  My heavenly Father knows.  We are only human.  It is nice to be at least acknowledged sometimes even if we don't need accolades!

Lord, thank you for your love.  Help us show it to others for all the right reasons.

Movie Monday
I got to see two movies this week -- The Odd Life of Timothy Green and The Expendables 2.

The Odd Life of Timothy Green
I was supposed to see a preview of this movie a few weeks ago, but it didn't work out.  I went yesterday afternoon because the preview intrigued the big-heartedness in me!  It did not disappoint.  The story line was a couple who could not have children made up the ideal characteristics of a child (if they could ever have one).  I will leave out a few details here so it doesn't ruin for you.  When the boy appears, Timothy, it was an amazing time for them.  The movie is a little predictable, but it was very, very touching.  I have had few inklings in my life to be a parent, but this sparked something in me! (don't worry, I am not going anywhere with that idea!).

I give this movie three bear paws (out of four).  It was a very sweet movie if you go with the premise.

The Expendables 2.
Boom!  Bam!  Explosion! Gun fire!  Stuff and bad guys flying around everywhere!  Yeah, that describes the "man flick" The Expendables 2.  I liked it MUCH better than the first movie because there were more explosions and stuff.  What I didn't expect was more blood and guts from the fighting scenes.  Eww!  My favorite parts were the humorous ways the script had the actors poke fun at their previous roles.  Very funny!  The best one was the comment "That airplane belongs in a museum!".  One of the actors replied "Don't we all?"  ha!

I give this two bear paws (if you like explosions and some blood and guts).  The fight scenes were awesome on the big screen.

********************************************************
U R a BCOG.  U r FAWM.  Now believe it!

No comments:

Post a Comment