Wednesday, August 8, 2012

What about the losers?

Our Daily Bread
Have you been watching the Olympics?  Even if you haven't, you have probably heard about the gold medal winners.  The womens gymnastics team.  Gabby Douglas.  Ursain Bolt.  I don't know about you, but I haven't thought about the losers too much.  How about you?  We tell ourselves that they had a wonderful journey just getting to the Olympics, at least what we hear from the personal bio stories, but they still went home without a medal.

The devotional was inspired by a little girl that was touched by the sadness of a losing football team.  These huge hunks of men must of looked very sad for a little girl to notice!  What insight for us to look around us!  We need to be more sensitive to the hurting and needy people around us so we can show them God's love.  Sometimes we are the only link they may have to love or to God!  I loved a song I used to sing in college "You're the only Jesus" (that some may ever see).  What a thought!

Lord, thank you for your love.  Please help me show it to others through your compassion.

Workout Wednesday
Eating habits...
Those of you that know me have probably heard my joke about my eating habits: "I hold onto my bad eating habits tighter than a box of Hohos on a Saturday night!".  OMG!  I know.  I am bad.  My own mother says so, too!  ha!

Seriously, adjusting your eating habits doesn't have to be a OCD, militant thing.  Doing better and better is the goal.  No one is perfect.  No one can really eat the most healthy meal every single day.  Here are some tips that I am using.  Think of your own.

  1. When I want a treat (something that is not particularly healthy like Hohos or Doritos), I first ask myself if I really want them.  Do I really want to eat the calories?  Do I want to put that stuff in my body?  Some days the answers to all those questions are all yes!  ;-(  When I do, I allow myself to have them guilt-free, but I eat very small portions.  One or two Hohos instead of a whole box (Yikes, the old days are gone).  A small snack bag of Doritos instead of a large Grab bag (or a large bag if I am watching a movie!).  
  2. When I want a snack (something that is healthy and under 100 calories like walnuts, almonds, a protein bar, fruit, veggies, etc), I try to eat those two or three times per day to keep my metabolism going and avoid hunger.  I keep stuff in my cabinet at work and the fridge to facilitate this.
  3. When I go out to eat, the portions are usually huge.  I still forget how much less I eat now.  I usually order way too much.  I usually ask for a To-Go box right away and divide my meal out so I am not tempted to eat the whole meal.  I try to focus on the healthier parts of the meal like the salad.  If I allow myself dessert, I go back to tip number 1.  I share a dessert or get a small version of a dessert.
  4. Lastly, if you "fall off the wagon" for a day or a few days, get right back on!  I have been stalled at about 33 pounds in my weight loss journey.  I keep gaining and losing, gaining and losing, even though my fitness level is getting better and better.  Keep plugging away at it.  We can do this!

Like every other challenge that we face in life, God's power will help us overcome!

**************************************************
Let go, my friends!  God will be there to catch you and hold you in his loving arms!

No comments:

Post a Comment