Saturday, August 4, 2012

One more step

Our Daily Bread
Watching the Summer Olympics reminded me of several sports images that were burned in my mind.  Athletes, struggling to make their exhausted bodies continue on, made it to the finish line unassisted.  There are other images where competitors or folks from the crowd rushed out to assist.  Crossing the finish line, attaining the prize, whatever you want to call it.  They gave everything they could to accomplish their goal.

I don't know about you, but sometimes I feel like these athletes in my Christian life.  I feel exhausted and powerless to go on.  I feel like I don't have an ounce of spiritual strength to say one more prayer, to step one more step of faith even though I know the prize that is awaiting me -- our blessed Savior.  In my mind and heart, I hear the footsteps of Jesus coming near.  "Trying to go it alone again, huh, Duane?  We talked about this..."  ha!  Yes, we did.  I know I need him near me every second, for every breath.  Yes, we talked about that, too.


“Fear not for I am with you; be not dismayed for I am your God; I will strengthen you, yes, I will help you; yes, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand” (Isa. 41:10).

Lord, thank you for gently reminding me that I need to let go. You would think I would know that since I write at the bottom of my blog entries!


Simply Saturday
Refuge
I have been thinking about this post all week.  I hope it comes out the way I imagined!  I had lunch with a close friend recently who was complaining that his boyfriend of seven years was not that involved in his life with family and friends.  He rarely attended events and hasn't met most of his friends.  Being sort of a smart aleck (OK, I know I am a smart a$$), I quoted an Eagles song "every form of refuge has its price".  That simple quote in passing got me thinking.  Where am I taking refuge?  Where are you taking refuge?

We can take refuge in many, many different things, some good and some not so good.  My personal theory is that the things that take up most of our time are the things we take refuge in.  Think about that one.  For me, I take refuge in doing stuff around the house; in computer stuff, especially gadgets; in movies; and, in my faith.  What about you?

If I am truly honest with myself, I also take refuge in some things that aren't very healthy for me.  I started to write more about this, but decided I wanted this entry to be thought provoking rather than an expose on my life!  We all have these.  It could be sports or TV or a relationship that is not meant to be or .  Fill in the blank!

Every form off refuge does have its price except for one -- taking refuge in the Lord.

2 Samuel 22:3  -- New International Version (NIV)
3     my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge,
    my shield and the horn of my salvation.
He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior—
    from violent people you save me.

Psalm 5:11
But let all who take refuge in you be glad; let them ever sing for joy. Spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may rejoice in you.

Psalm 18:2
The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.

What does "taking refuge in the Lord" mean to me?  It means that we have a trust confidant, a true friend, a source of strength, someone to chide us when we are in the wrong, someone to share a no so ordinary life, someone to guide us, someone to motivate us to reach out to others.  Wow!  It does not mean to lock ourselves up at home or behind the computer or in church so we can't be exposed to the cruelties of the world.  Jesus calls us to be his light to the world!  We know we have hims as our refuge when we need to "recharge" and remind ourselves from where our strength comes!

So while all the other forms of refuge have a price, I will take refuge in the One True God.  He is my rock.  He is my stronghold.

He can be yours, too.  Talk to him about it today.

***************************************************
Let go, my friends (that means you, Duane)!  God will be there to catch you and hold you in his loving arms!

No comments:

Post a Comment