Sunday, August 19, 2012

Stubborn for a reason

Our Daily Bread
I had a friend that was about as stubborn as I am.  We laughed about it at times.  I tried to teach him how to use his stubbornness to the glory of God.  I don't think he ever got it!  I am praying for him about that.  Until he gets it, I am afraid he will use his stubbornness to do his will and not the will of his Father.

I learned something from the devotional today.  I had never heard the actual name of a psalm writer (other than David) until I read the devotional.  Heman wrote at least Psalm 88, a psalm that was a perfect example of how to use your stubbornness for God.  To be clear, being sooooooo stubborn about our faith, about believing what God promised us and about doing the things he wants us to do.  We are talking stubborn!

I have been working on this.  Most of my friends know I can be very stubborn about good things -- helping fiends no matter what, sticking up for the things I believe in and speaking out when I feel God leading me.  I am praying about being less stubborn about having my own way and doing things I want to do (rather than what God wants).  I also want to be more stubborn about being patient and waiting on the Lord.  Yes, I will wait on the Lord!

How about you?

Lord, thank you for making me stubborn.  Please help me to use that gift for you!

Psalm Sunday
Psalm 58 is the psalm for this week.  This one is troublesome to me.  This writer is mad!  I remembered how I have felt at times when "someone did me wrong".  I may not have prayed for their teeth to be knocked out, but I know I asked for some other unpleasant things to happen to them!  While this is an extreme example to me, use it as inspiration to open up your conversations with God.  Trust him to listen and understand even when you are angry and hurt.  Tell it like it is!


Psalm 58

For the director of music. To the tune of “Do Not Destroy.” Of David. A miktam.

1 Do you rulers indeed speak justly?
    Do you judge people with equity?
2 No, in your heart you devise injustice,
    and your hands mete out violence on the earth.
3 Even from birth the wicked go astray;
    from the womb they are wayward, spreading lies.
4 Their venom is like the venom of a snake,
    like that of a cobra that has stopped its ears,
5 that will not heed the tune of the charmer,
    however skillful the enchanter may be.
6 Break the teeth in their mouths, O God;
    Lord, tear out the fangs of those lions!
7 Let them vanish like water that flows away;
    when they draw the bow, let their arrows fall short.
8 May they be like a slug that melts away as it moves along,
    like a stillborn child that never sees the sun.
9 Before your pots can feel the heat of the thorns —
    whether they be green or dry—the wicked will be swept away.
10 The righteous will be glad when they are avenged,
    when they dip their feet in the blood of the wicked.
11 Then people will say,
    “Surely the righteous still are rewarded;
    surely there is a God who judges the earth.”
******************************************************
Let go, my friends!  God will be there to catch you and hold you in his loving arms!


No comments:

Post a Comment