Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Don't forget...

Our Daily Bread
I posted my status on Facebook yesterday and included the phrase "and now COFFEE!".  My aunt, who knows me well, asked me about that phrase because she knows I don't drink coffee!  Well, she is sort of right. I don't drink regular coffee.  I told her that I drink the cafe mocha from Starbucks because it reminds me of the "cowboy coffee" that I used to drink at my grandmother's house when I was a child!  Remembering is good!

My grandmother passed ten years ago, but I still remember the great times we had while I was growing up and the ways I turned the tables on her when I became an adult (though some would argue that I still need to grow up!).  I sometimes have selfish thoughts of wanting her back on earth even though I know she is in a much better place, and spending time with Grandpa again!  We can be comforted by these thoughts!

I visited an acquaintance in hospice on Saturday.  These thoughts came through my mind there as well.  His family will miss him terribly, but he will be in a better place.  I will miss seeing him at Target!

Lord, please help us to remember who we are, who was important to us and that they are at rest with you now!

Workout Wednesday
I had a talk with a friend about weight loss approaches.  There is one school of thought that you shouldn't lose more than 2 - 3 pounds per week.  Some say no more than 1% of your body weight per week.  Some say lose all you can as quickly as you can.  What should you do?

To retool a phrase: Just LOSE it!  ;-p  Whether you lose it fast or lose it slow please remember these things I culled from many different weight loss articles:

  1. Be sure to work with your doctor before any major life change like this!
  2. Lose how you lose best -- fast or slow.
  3. Try to weigh yourself only once per week, at the same day and time, preferably first thing in the morning.
  4. Whether you lose weight slow or fast, always keep in the back of your mind that you need to figure out how to keep it off after you lose it.  I lost about 25 pounds a few years ago, but found I couldn't maintain the weight because I literally exercised my butt off to do it.  After my doctors put me back on physical activity restrictions, I gained it all back and more!  Yikes...
  5. Make sure your maintenance plan includes an exercise plan that you can do for life.  Variety of exercise can be important to many folks so you don't get bored with it!
  6. Figure out ways to eat that work for your lifestyle.  Some folks continue on the maintenance version of Weight Watchers because it works for them.  Some develop healthier eating habits that become second nature after a while (that is what I am going for).  Whatever you choose, do you best to stick to it.  If you fall off the wagon one or two days, get back on!
  7. Treat yourself to new (or new to you) clothes.  If you can't afford new clothes, then take a friend to the consignment or second hand stores to look for bargains in your new size.  
  8. The biggest thing:  hang in there!  You can do this!  If I can do it, anyone can!  ;-P

****************************************************************
Let go, my friends!  God will be there to catch you and hold you in his loving arms!

No comments:

Post a Comment